Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,947   Posts: 1,557,848   Online: 828

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

My 3D Printed Pinhole Camera

Hello all

After some time away from my film cameras, I returned to pinhole photography with a 35mm camera that I designed, 3D printed, and shoot. This is my 4th pinhole, dubbed the PINHE4D. No, it's not dovetailed oak and polished brass, but it is easy to modify to your needs. For instance, doubling the frame width is a relatively trivial scaling operation in a CAD program. One of the many goals for this project is to create a library of 3D printable parts that people can use to build cameras from scratch: spools, rollers, winding mechanisms, shutters, etc. I also plan to develop a large format camera in the future.

I got my first roll back today (drugstore developing, couldn't wait for the lab), Kodak Ektar 100, but stay tuned for the B&W:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/theschl...7635189094287/

Of course, you can print and build your own:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:132517

Thanks for looking
    schlem
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9565786717_1878b9f6e6_z.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	208.6 KB 
ID:	73343

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Its seem to me a camera from 1920s with beaten leather. I visited few big 3d print factories and I did see White semi transparent ABS , no black ABS. Is it rare ? How much does it cost to you ? I wanted a print of Leica S2 body without mechanism and they wanted 300 euros. I think making small female molds from few pieces of aluminum and filling them with polymer to set is a cheap operation.
    But I liked the viewfinder very much.
    Why tripod is sea creature blue ?

Umut

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why print a 35mm pinhole camera and not just modify a simple plastic point-and-shoot camera into a pinhole camera?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think there is no better pinhole camera than anamorphic 617 pinhole camera. I think if it would cost less than 50 dıollars to print it , its viable option. I dont see any reason to print above camera also. I think printing is a investment to hand craft like pieces , may be an gaudi handle and
    3d printed acrylic anamorphic lens. Otherwise , that cant compete with any camera present.

I agree with AgX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Schlem,

welcome to APUG . Sometimes people do stuff because it is fun to do it - I never done 3D printing, but I guess it is fun .

cheers,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes! Sometimes it's the journey, not the destination that's important!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I admit I expected to get this answer.
    And you are right.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Pretty hard crowd.

I read the posts about another 3D printed camera, and I was surprised at the vitriol being dished out. APUG guys don't seem to get it. Obviously, there is a fundamental lack of understanding in this forum about 3D printing. It's a hard concept to get your head around sometimes.

This is NOT expensive - like $3 US in materials
    This is not exotic technology
    It's not any more fragile than a Holga (but don't drop either of them, please)
    It really is as simple as downloading the CAD files and printing your own.

I guarantee you, this is not the last 3D printed camera you will see. Do you like large format? Anamorphic? shooting paper? They're coming and they're going to be awesome.

If you have questions, please ask me.

AND - Did anyone even bother to look at the photographs? This camera shoots better than some of the precious, polished, wooden 4x6 pinholes I have built.
    schlem
    ----------
    pictures from the Schlaboratory: http://www.flickr.com/photos/theschlem/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Honestly, the pictures could be a bit sharper. I don't much care about the technology, you know, whatever works for you. For example, if I ever were to construct a pinhole, I would use a box and some gaffer tape most likely to keep it simple and disposable in case I hate it.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by schlem View Post
    Pretty hard crowd.

I read the posts about another 3D printed camera, and I was surprised at the vitriol being dished out. APUG guys don't seem to get it. Obviously, there is a fundamental lack of understanding in this forum about 3D printing. It's a hard concept to get your head around sometimes.

This is NOT expensive - like $3 US in materials
    This is not exotic technology
    It's not any more fragile than a Holga (but don't drop either of them, please)
    It really is as simple as downloading the CAD files and printing your own.
    I don't have such printer. And I do not expect it to be in the same price range as that material you refer to.
    Lately in some large cities in Europe public 3D Printers have been installed. Nowhere next to me.
    Downloading a file from the net and sending it to some on-line printing service to get a ready-made camera does not seem a intriguing way to go for me. Then I rather modify myself a camera as indicated above and even gain more features on the film transport side.
    Or building a camera totally from scrap.

Do you have a printer of your own?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin