Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,566   Online: 1165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Escaped Rapax shutter spring

I recently opened up the Rapax shutter for my 135mm Wollensak Raptar lens had gradually been slowing down to the point it would simply stick open at speeds slower than 1/25th to see what could be done, but seeing the the delay mechanism was not a discreet unit that could be easily removed thought better of going any further. Before I could get the face plate back on however a spring jumped loose and I have been unable to determine exactly how it goes back in. I was hoping someone who is more familiar with these things might be able to suggest how I might return it to its original position.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rapax001.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	74082
    Here is the spring in question, the coil is about 4mm across.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rapax002.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	74083
    Here is the rest of the shutter with the face plate off. The red arrow indicates a post that seems to have no purpose as it is and is just the right thing to be an anchor point for the coil of the spring, and it's also in the general area the spring jumped out from, so I'm assuming this is the starting point. I haven't been able to find how or what other part or parts it is supposed to give tension to.

To get a better sense of what the part might do I put everything back together without the spring and so far as I can tell the shutter still appears to work at the higher speeds. At lower speeds though it has the opposite of the original problem as they are obviously too fast. One second sounds more like 1/8 of a second. It still works on T, though if the shutter button isn't pressed and released very quickly when the shutter is opened it will close again. It doesn't work on B, though to be honest I'm not sure if it ever did.

(The shutter had flash sync contacts BTW which were removed many years ago and this didn't affect the workings of the rest of the shutter and I'm not concerned with that.)

Any suggestions, even if they're just highly educated guesses, about what this part does and how it can be returned to its original position would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That could be the Bulb Lever Spring.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I run into this problem myself from time to time, and it's hard to solve without having the parts in hand and without being an expert (which I'm not). When I get really stuck, sometimes just staring at the pieces, or walking away and then taking a second look will help.

The post you mention is probably the best place to start. Most likely, the spring is supposed to be installed with the two ends slightly closer together under tension, and that tension would slightly constrict the coil in the middle of the spring. Start there, and find posts that the spring coil will fit, then look for places to catch or anchor each end of the spring. Also, many times one end of the spring will be anchored against the inside of the case and there may or may not be a groove there. Also be sure to flip the spring over vertically and horizontally when looking for places it could go.

To me, it looks kind of like the spring that puts tension on an M/X flash sync switch and provides the "detent" for the two settings.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbuzzclick View Post
    I run into this problem myself from time to time, and it's hard to solve without having the parts in hand and without being an expert (which I'm not). When I get really stuck, sometimes just staring at the pieces, or walking away and then taking a second look will help.

The post you mention is probably the best place to start. Most likely, the spring is supposed to be installed with the two ends slightly closer together under tension, and that tension would slightly constrict the coil in the middle of the spring. Start there, and find posts that the spring coil will fit, then look for places to catch or anchor each end of the spring. Also, many times one end of the spring will be anchored against the inside of the case and there may or may not be a groove there. Also be sure to flip the spring over vertically and horizontally when looking for places it could go.

To me, it looks kind of like the spring that puts tension on an M/X flash sync switch and provides the "detent" for the two settings.
    The link I posted shows clearly where and how the spring is installed. Fifth picture down, IIRC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I'll keep my mouth shut in the future.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Large Format
    Shutters are tough stuff, but thanks to you guys, I'm getting less afraid of them. If I just ply my mind and attack the task like all the other kinds of repair work I do, everything will come out alright.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Graphex is a Rapax re badged.
    http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...terService.pdf
    Yours is a #2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbuzzclick View Post

Thanks Reid. This is sort of the logic I had been following but you got me to take a second look and try some things I haven't before and we may have the problem licked. There are a couple of tabs that are to the right of the post in the photo from my first original message. One of them was attached to a lever that was already spring loaded, but the other was just free floating. It seemed like this must be it but any logical way I could come up with to use the spring to put tension on it either didn't work or put an odd torsion on the spring that caused it to pop back out again. Following your advise I tried flipping it and twisting it around a few more ways and came up with something that tensioned the lever, stayed in place, and when I put the face plate back now seems to be causing the timing gears to engage properly. Better yet I must have loosened some gunk along the way because it's not sticking at slower speeds any more. Shutter durations are still about twice the marked speeds which is frankly as good as it's ever worked as long as I've owned it and I can compensate for that. The only strange thing is that now when the shutter speed is set anywhere between 1/10 and 1 sec. I can't cock the shutter. The cocking lever just won't stay engaged. If I move it to a faster speed to cock the shutter though I can then move it back to a speed in that range and it will fire normally. Unless someone has a brilliant and sure fire solution to this I'm going to put the lens back together and live with it as is.

- Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    JOE,
    you apparently ignored my post. The link is to a Factory service manual for the Rapax/Graphex #1, #2, and #3 shutters. It gives detailed instructions from start of disassembly to reassembly.

If you are just a shade tree er, lay it on a solid surface and beat it with a hammer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin