Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,241   Online: 708

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ever thought of a pneumatic one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope. This is terminal. Throw it out. It's also annoyingly, infuriatingly common amongst cheap cloth-covered cable releases. This applies to Chinese, Japanese and German-made items. The pricy Linhof releases are the best of the bunch. Pentax and Nikon releases are also sturdily made. Steer well clear of thin, petite releases, or the stiff affairs sold by a German manufacturer that have been widely reported to seize unexpectedly. The cloth ones are terrible banes, but some really good double-skinned, sealed examples do exist — particularly antique types, from the day "when they were built to last". Buy one decent one, keep a couple of more as spares accessible wherever you go. Also, I don't recommend buying a second hand cable release from e.g. eBay unless you have your wits about you and can form a balanced, reliable judgement of how well it will serve you. You really do not know what those "little used, good condition" releases have been through.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out the Horseman release, very, very solid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Duct tape.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Bdial I've used heat shrink tubing to repair or beef up a few cable releases, it works very well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Duct tape.
    That was my thought too!

On the other hand, Freestyle has a bunch of different kinds, and they may be cheaper than a roll of duct tape. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/search?q=cable+release
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thirsty View Post
    Try the ones with the metal braid on the outside, instead of cloth or plastic:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...red_Cable.html

I've never had one of those come apart on me.

The cheap plastic ones can have a problem with the plastic sleeve sliding off the metal barrel on the ends, although in a pinch you can sometimes push them back together and tape them up. I do have a red plastic one that has been fine; it looks like this, although I'm not certain it's the same one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Release.html
    That is the best answer. Duct tape or heat shrink tubing will not hold up very long and merely raise the frustration level.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like I'll be using the self timer for a spell. I can't say this one didn't last though. It came with a camera I bought 20 years ago that was vintage then.

-Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 20-year old cable release!? Geez, don't complain that it's given up the ghost, that's a decent innings — you'll probably look a little frayed around the edges too after 20 years!!
    I went through 4 cables in 6 months, though I had to work in wet and cold weather (this is the point of undoing for cloth-covered releases, but rust has also been known to enter the so-called sealed, stainless steel braided releases). Fortunately, the ones I have now are the real deal and more than 2 years old; I have added a couple to my collection (well, I had GAS, you see...).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are plenty of Chinese made cable releases on the 'bay for peanuts. I bought quite a few and I am satisfied. If one blows out, I'll just take another from the drawer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin