Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,343   Online: 1213

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    That was my thought too!

On the other hand, Freestyle has a bunch of different kinds, and they may be cheaper than a roll of duct tape. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/search?q=cable+release
    Heck, everybody has a roll of duct tape laying around. Cost is zero.

Seriously, a layer, maybe 1/2 inch by whatever length, with the glue side out to cover the cable, and another layer, glue side in to attach to the good part of the wrapper at each end of the blowout, and you're in business.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's an "egermancy" a bit of clear nail polish to hold the frayed bits together & heat shrink tubing.

I doubt there's enough give in the tubing to allow the spring wrap to stretch. But! "shrugs"
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    If it's an "egermancy" a bit of clear nail polish to hold the frayed bits together & heat shrink tubing.

I doubt there's enough give in the tubing to allow the spring wrap to stretch. But! "shrugs"
    Isn't that what Poland had in 1939?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post

Seriously, a layer, maybe 1/2 inch by whatever length, with the glue side out to cover the cable, and another layer, glue side in to attach to the good part of the wrapper at each end of the blowout, and you're in business.
    I don't. But I do have heat shrink tubing, and what I would do is cut one piece to cover the break, shrink it, then put on another overlapping piece - that is, covering the first piece and a half or three quarters of an inch on each end of the healthy casing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Ever thought of a pneumatic one?
    That's all I use on large format cameras. It's impossible to jiggle the camera with it.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And why not on smaller cameras?
    The punch of the piston?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post

Duct tape/Gaffer tape is the last thing youn should use unless it's all you have. The number of restorations I do where I have to spend time removing the residues, it's awful stuff, designed for a day ot twos use.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The punch of the piston?
    Only if it's a V twin
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The punch of the piston?
    On the 4x5 Linhof and the Rollei, there isn't enough clearance between the cable release socket and the lensboard to screw in the slave piston assembly. On 35mm SLRs, I use mirror lockup and the self timer instead.

The 6 or so feet of small dia. tubing between the squeeze bulb and the piston screwed into the shutter gives very effective isolation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Duct tape/Gaffer tape is the last thing youn should use unless it's all you have. The number of restorations I do where I have to spend time removing the residues, it's awful stuff, designed for a day ot twos use.

Ian
    Amen. I'm pretty sure I've never owned a roll fo the cr@p. I know I've never bought one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin