Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,956   Posts: 1,558,036   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Blown cable release

Anyone know any tricks to salvage a blown out cable release?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blown_release.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	74089
    Back in the day I wouldn't have thought twice about just replacing it but these aren't as easy to come across as they once were.

-Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, not me.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    For the most part I've never seen a cable release that wasn't a piece of junk.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not buy a brand new one?

Listing:
    http://www.drahtauslöser.com/ESITE/

technical Features:
    http://www.gebr-schreck.com/ESITE/P7.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Assuming the inner part is still working well;
    Get some heat shrink tubing from Radio Shack or the electrical supply section of a hardware store or home center. You will want something just big enough to slip over the small end. Trim back the frayed portion of the fabric.
    A heat gun works best for shrinking it, but holding it over a stove burner works too, don't get it too close and keep rotating it until the tubing is tight.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Standard heat shrunk tubing might not be able to yield longitudinal tension. (There is adhesive shrink tubing though.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Assuming the inner part is still working well;
    Get some heat shrink tubing from Radio Shack or the electrical supply section of a hardware store or home center. You will want something just big enough to slip over the small end. Trim back the frayed portion of the fabric.
    A heat gun works best for shrinking it, but holding it over a stove burner works too, don't get it too close and keep rotating it until the tubing is tight.
    I thought of heat shrink, but the problem is the torn material was putting tension on the inner tube spring (if that's what you call it) which needs to be held together as it's repaired. This requirement doesn't go well with heat guns or stove burners. I was thinking some kind of tape might do it but I don't know if there's anything on the market that will hold.

As to why I don't just buy a new one, I'm certainly going to, probably a couple, but they'll have to be ordered in and what do I do in the mean time? This is the second time this has happened to me in less than a month so chances are good that I'll be in this situation again.

- Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what to do in the meantime has never been a problem for me -- i tend to attract people's old foto junque and there's almost always a cable release or three mixed in. Must have a dozen floating around. The old cloth covered ones will blow out on you, steel sheathed are best.

Shooter
    35mm
    Try the ones with the metal braid on the outside, instead of cloth or plastic:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...red_Cable.html

I've never had one of those come apart on me.

The cheap plastic ones can have a problem with the plastic sleeve sliding off the metal barrel on the ends, although in a pinch you can sometimes push them back together and tape them up. I do have a red plastic one that has been fine; it looks like this, although I'm not certain it's the same one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Release.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the same thing happen. Is this release for a tight fitting space? If so, you may have your work cut out for you! I had to do some surgery on a right angle adapter to fit it in a space.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin