Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,669   Online: 951

Shooter
    Medium Format

Have the lens, need a camera.

Hello APUG forums, first poster here.

As mentioned in the title, I have a 135mm F4 S-K TeleXenar (originally for Retina cameras) that with the known focusing glass behind the lens trick shows it could cover up to a medium format area.
    I know, the image is circular so I could choose 6x6, but I'd prefer to use it on a 6x4,5 camera, as I already have a Rollei.

Schneider's lovely website has all the lens specs, including coverage, with a suggested negative size of 28x28 (lens was sold for '126' Instamatic reflexes too) but it appears to be much more, and the telephoto design helps in this regard. Moreover I intend to use it for portraits, so I'm not after corner to corner sharpness.

So, now, I need to choose a suitable camera to fit it the lens, which is in DKL mount.. M42 adapters are easily found, and when you have a thread mount you're basically set I guess?

The cameras I was whinking about were:
    Lomo Belair (not that cheap, but new; not high quality, no film pressure plate, need to create a own 6x4,5 mask)
    Zeiss Super Ikonta 6x4,5 (Not cheap but high quality, quite old so perhaps needs servicing)
    ..?
    On both I still need to find out a way to focus.
    Do you have any suggestions? Other cameras, perhaps slrs?
    Thanks a lot

Shooter
    Large Format
    How about a Speed Graphic off ebay with a roll film back?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    All light leaving a lens is circular. There are two circles, the circle of illumination and the circle of acceptably sharp image. The circle of acceptably sharp image is equal to or less than the circle of illumination, never greater than.

Miniature Speed Graphic
    2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic
    2x3 RB Series B Graflex provided the lens mount is no more than 1.814 inches in diameter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my experience, telephoto lenses have less coverage than non-telephoto lenses of the same focal length, so I'd prepare myself for blurry corners using that lens on medium format film. The smaller 2x3 Speed Graphic is the best (only) choice because of the need for a focal plane shutter and the need for a small flange-focal distance. Because of the telephoto design of your lens, you may have trouble focusing that lens at infinity on a full sized (4x5) Speed Graphic. I believe the flange-focal length for your lens is 44.7mm and the minimum flange-film distance on the small 2x3 Speed Graphic is around 30mm, so you should be OK. You may not be able to find a 6x4.5 back, but I'd just use a 6x6cm back and crop when printing (and you indeed may find yourself cropping to 28x28mm if you want the entire field sharp )

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    In my experience, telephoto lenses have less coverage than non-telephoto lenses of the same focal length, so I'd prepare myself for blurry corners using that lens on medium format film. The smaller 2x3 Speed Graphic is the best (only) choice because of the need for a focal plane shutter and the need for a small flange-focal distance. Because of the telephoto design of your lens, you may have trouble focusing that lens at infinity on a full sized (4x5) Speed Graphic. I believe the flange-focal length for your lens is 44.7mm and the minimum flange-film distance on the small 2x3 Speed Graphic is around 30mm, so you should be OK. You may not be able to find a 6x4.5 back, but I'd just use a 6x6cm back and crop when printing (and you indeed may find yourself cropping to 28x28mm if you want the entire field sharp )
    agreed. Only truly viable option. I had the baby Graphic in mind when I last posted. Theres always some on fleabay

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks fot the thoughts and replies.
    Speaking about lens coverage, the 135 was initially sold to fit Retina IIIs and Retina reflexes, so in that case they had to cover a full 35mm frame, and they did, as long as I know. I tested the coverage using a spare Rollei ground glass and sharpness looks decent, things might get all swirly in the edges but in the end it's a fun project .

In my mind I was thinking about something more portable, not pocketable but almost, considering it's not a lens in shutter. That's why I mentioned Super ikontas and such vintage folders, but I live in Europe so I've never seen a Speed Graphic/Miniature/Pacemaker2x3 in the flesh so they might be smaller than what I think.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin