Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,543   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting point re: silicon grease...

These are specifically metal posts with plastic gears. There may be ball bearings under the gear hubs but I can't tell until I remove them, and I haven't yet.

With this plastic/metal combination, will lithium greases (mentioned above) harm the plastic in any way?
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be careful some greases have a tendency to creep and wind up where they can cause damage.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A google search for " lubricate plastic gears " results in some good posts in the first few links. The type of lubricant to use depends on the type of plastic the gears are made of. White lithium will work fine on some and not on others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The white lithium for some places and the a drop of clock oil reduces/eliminates the "shutter squeal" on my Canons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    3 in 1 oil is vegetable based and will dry out and leave a sticky residue.
    3-in-1 oil MSDS:

Ingredient:....................................... .......................CAS#...................Weig ht Percent

Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Napthenic Oil............64742-52-5........................>97

Naptha, petroleum......................................... ....64742-47-8........................<2

Non-hazardous Ingredients.....................................Mi xture...........................<3
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Napthenic Oil:
    http://hazmap.nlm.nih.gov/category-d...=copytblagents
    Sources/uses:Used in the chemical, fuel, agricultural, electrical/electronic engineering, metal refining, coatings (paints, lacquers, and varnishes), pulp & paper, polymers, and lubricant blending industries; Used as an adhesive, binding agent, corrosion inhibitor, dust-binding agent, explosive, fertilizer, filler, fuel additive, heat transfer agent, hydraulic fluid, intermediate, lubricant, solvent, softener, surface-active agent, viscosity adjustor, impregnation agent, insulating material, and welding/soldering agent; [IUCLID] Additional uses include carpet backing, various consumer products, diluents and carriers, industrial foams, feedstock for refrigeration and white oils, organic fibers, tanning, and titanium wash oils; [Ergon Refining MSDS]

Still not a good oil for cameras.

----
    assumed vegetable based from gummy build up of 3 in 1 motor oil used on electric motors.
    3 in 1 motor oil msds:
    http://www.3inone.com/files/pdf/msds-3in31675284.pdf
    Composition:
    Solvent, dewaxed heavy paraffinic petroleum >96%
    Naptha, petroleum <2%
    Non-Hazardous Ingredients <4%
    percentages by weight.
    Another not a good oil for cameras.
    Last edited by shutterfinger; 09-11-2013 at 02:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh Dear !! I have been using Three-in-One to lubricate in the baseplate cogs of my 1960's-70's Asahi Pentaxes and my Canon FTbn and A1 but they all seem OK still and wind on very smoothly now . I just touch a piece of fuse wire into one drop of the Oil in a dish and then touch it into the cogs and by capillary action it goes in -- very SMALL amounts only.
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't suppose anybody knows specifically what Canon used back in the '80s when they assembled them?

I think I'm probably going to have to tear it down completely to clean it all and put it back together. It's not all that complex, but still something I haven't done before.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Oh Dear !! I have been using Three-in-One to lubricate
    You are using the correct amount and the worst that will happen is it builds up and you have to flush it out before applying more or that it reacts unfavorably with the plastic but I think it would have done that by now.
    I use TriFlow, watch oil and gun oil work well also.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster View Post
    I don't suppose anybody knows specifically what Canon used back in the '80s when they assembled them?
    In the original repair manuals Canon give the designations of the lubricants. Though those do not make me wiser...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin