Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,453   Online: 888

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First: ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS clean out old lubricant before applying new one!!!!! I can't stress it enough. As far as I've been taught, not doing so wears out components and fast.
    For your application I would go for ol' trusty white lithium grease. Don't use too much, a dab will do. Overoiling has never solved anything. I use lithium mostly on my skateboard bearings and that stuff is wonderful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by VPooler View Post
    First: ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS clean out old lubricant before applying new one!!!!! I can't stress it enough. As far as I've been taught, not doing so wears out components and fast. For your application I would go for ol' trusty white lithium grease. Don't use too much, a dab will do. Overoiling has never solved anything. I use lithium mostly on my skateboard bearings and that stuff is wonderful.
    This is absolutely correct. Hence the Term, CLEAN, lubricate adjust.
    But of course, if you want to do half a job feel free.
    Personally I'll buy a non-functional watch or camera, but I won't buy one that's been worked on unless it's been worked on by someone I know to do good work.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    noseoil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    noseoil
    I wonder if that's like Oil of Dog? http://www.classicreader.com/book/2058/1/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    How about sewing machine oil?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    How about sewing machine oil?
    You're joking right?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    You're joking right?
    No, please explain?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    No, please explain?
    Sewing machine oil is a petroleum oil, like the oil you use in your car's engine. Petroleum oils creep; when you apply them to a pivot, say, in a short time they spread down the shaft and over the plate the pivot works in. This means oil spreads to where it is not wanted or needed, and leaves the point needing lubrication dry.
    Animal, vegetable, and some synthetic oils have the virtue of "staying put". Animal and vegetable base oils, and blends thereof, were used in watches and clocks for centuries until synthetic oils were developed.

Here's a great source of lubricants for fine mechanisms. http://www.ofrei.com/page246.html I've been using these oils and greases for a couple decades and reccomend them very highly.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Sewing machine oil is a petroleum oil, like the oil you use in your car's engine. Petroleum oils creep; when you apply them to a pivot, say, in a short time they spread down the shaft and over the plate the pivot works in. This means oil spreads to where it is not wanted or needed, and leaves the point needing lubrication dry.
    Animal, vegetable, and some synthetic oils have the virtue of "staying put". Animal and vegetable base oils, and blends thereof, were used in watches and clocks for centuries until synthetic oils were developed.

Here's a great source of lubricants for fine mechanisms. http://www.ofrei.com/page246.html I've been using these oils and greases for a couple decades and reccomend them very highly.
    I thought sewing machine oil would have the best viscosity, but you obviously know much more about oils than me and I apologise for my crass post.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd still say white lithium grease for optimum performance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin