Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,215   Online: 910

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

What kind of lubricant to use?

I've got a Canon Power Winder A but it's somewhat noisy. I was rather surprised how noisy. I removed the faux leather and unscrewed it but from what I could figure out it wasn't the servo itself making the noise but the 5-6 gears that were attached to it (some kind of reduction gear system).

I couldn't get them off because I didn't have a circlip remover tool at the time. I tried some 3-in-1 sewing machine oil but it didn't really help. So I got some Plio-Bond to put it all back together but I figure I'll give it another try before putting on the Plio-Bond.

So, the question is: What kind of lubricant would give the best results? I'm looking to make it quieter and last as long as possible. I also may need to clean up the 3-in-1 oil I put on from before, just to make sure.

Thanks in advance.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    3 in 1 oil is vegetable based and will dry out and leave a sticky residue. When it time to relube the sewing machine one wipes off the old goo and applies the fresh oil.
    Wipe the gears off with an alcohol swab then apply a light coat of White Lithium Grease which is easily found at hardware and stores that sell power tools.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For the gear tooth’s you need some kind of grease type lubricant . Check the Microtools.com , they have a number of lubricants for the cameras, but this lubricants expensive. I think you can try a little bit of technical Vaseline or white lithium grease from the automotive stores. You need just a little bit on the toothed part of the gears. The old oils and greases can be removed with lighter fluid and a small brash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    3 in 1 oil is vegetable based..
    Have you proof of this? I don't believe it's true though not recommending its use for this purpose.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the helpful comments!
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Have you proof of this? I don't believe it's true though not recommending its use for this purpose.
    It's always acted, felt, looked, and smelled like a petroleum oil. I've never noticed it drying up, I use it on an antique reel type lawnmower (because someone gave me a giant can of it. I oil the mower before and after every use). But I have to admit I've never paid close attention to it; I use it on the mower as much to wash away any grit as to lubricate it.
    No, I'm not advising you to put it on your winder!
    Lithium or molybdenum disulphide grease is the way to go there.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 09-10-2013 at 04:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With plastic gears silicone grease weould be an alternative.

Though I try to avoid a silicone oils and greases, due to spread, surfaces unwillingly becoming slippery and the difficulty (compared to Petroleum based lubricants) to remove it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    With plastic gears silicone grease weould be an alternative.

Though I try to avoid a silicone oils and greases, due to spread, surfaces unwillingly becoming slippery and the difficulty (compared to Petroleum based lubricants) to remove it.
    +100 on the silicone lubes. I don't use them unless neccesary - meaning specified.
    Plastic gears are usually pretty quiet, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a white lithium grease that has teflon in it. The can says its designed for metal to metal. So far its been fine, even on lens helicals and gives it a decent focusing feel, not as nice when the lens is new, slightly stiffer. I contemplated buying the nicer lubes, but some get really expensive for a tiny squirt tube. Wasnt worth it for me, especially when I was cleaning and lubing things that didnt cost much anyway. I also use graphite/moly powder too but not for gears, I mix it up with some naptha and apply it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have always used lubricants that are intended for fishing reels such as Penn Lube. Try any store that sells fishing equipment.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 09-11-2013 at 12:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin