Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,885   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Preserving leather cases and bellows

Any members with information on what to put on the brown leather camera cases and black leather bellows to preserve them ? I have some 'Neatsfoot Oil' I was given and have rubbed a small amount onto a couple of camera cases and lens cases with a kitchen towel tissue and it seems to do it some good . I have some classic 1950's bellows folders and there are no holes so I want to lubricate the leather of the bellows.
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The traditional thing to keep leather bellows soft is bees wax, very few camera/lens cases are actually real leather mostly some sort of faux or reconstituted leather or compressed material with leather look surface .
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hope that neatsfoot oil doesn't dissolve the glue at the bellows seam.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Neatsfoot oil comes from the hooves of calves and is recommended by many for leather, but apply it sparingly.
    Pledge Natural Beauty, the furniture polish in the yellow aerosol can, contains beeswax and lemon oil. Both are good for leather and naugahyde used on camera and cases. Spray it on, rub it in, wipe off the excess. been using it for years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The traditional thing to keep leather bellows soft is bees wax, very few camera/lens cases are actually real leather mostly some sort of faux or reconstituted leather or compressed material with leather look surface .
    Adding to Ben's comments it's usually the tread that's used for the stitching that goes first, also the strap. I've a few to repair this Autumn/Winter and havebought the tools.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many thanks for all the replies -- you even know from where 'Neatsfoot Oil' comes !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
    Many thanks for all the replies -- you even know from where 'Neatsfoot Oil' comes !
    A 'nota bene' - there is "pure Neat's foot oil" and there is "Neat's foot oil compound". The compound can dissolve glues, although it never has for me; the pure article will not. Another good product is Lexol, but beware that it is an emulsion and if applied generously could dissolve water-soluble glue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Hope that neatsfoot oil doesn't dissolve the glue at the bellows seam.
    I've been using it since 1988 on the original-from-1950 bellows an my Deardorff V8, which are made of sheepskin, and since 1987 on the bellows of my Linhof STIV from 1960. It has yet to dissolve anything and both bellows are supple and light tight. I use Nye pure Neat's Foot oil.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    you even know from where 'Neatsfoot Oil' comes
    I googled it a while back, bought a bottle at Tandy Leather and used a little on a vintage Graflex SLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My plastic bottle says it was bought in a 'saddlery'shop and is 'Gold Label' Neatsfoot Oil,specially blended for leather articles .also suitable for use as a Massage Oil ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin