Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,675   Online: 1146

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Avoid blood and gore!

For the sake of your fingers and unless you enjoy the sight of your own blood, if you're drilling or hole cutting in sheet metal, put the workpiece in a vise or clamp it securely . As the drill bit breaks though its likely to snag the work piece and twirl it around, nicely butchering your hand. The chassis punches mentioned earlier are great things, but the ones I've used require a hole drilled in the center of the work piece, so still be careful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best way? A lathe with a four-jaw chuck and a trepanning cutter. If you don't have that, there are second-best (and third, and fourth...) ways as outlined in this thread, they'll all work with care and patience. The advice to clamp the board firmly when using a drill press is advice you will ignore exactly once. With luck you won't lose a finger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would use my Sherline Mill, drilling a small center whole so i could then rotate the board with geared table (forget what it is called) and cutting the hole as it rotates.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    You could use a .410 shotgun. Just attach the lensboard to a piece of wood and stand a few inches away from it when you fire the gun. Hole too small? Back up and try again. Hole too large? Get some duct tape and chewing gum to plug up the holes. Good luck.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jon, professionals don't use chewing gum to fill in spaces caused by grievous negligence!

That's what spray foam sealant is for.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    what ever you want to use.. hole saw or drill.. draw the circle accurately with a compass, cut your hole undersized by 1/16" or more, then file it to the finished line.

And yes.. clamp your work securely.. it saves alot of agaony as well as makes a better finished job.. ask us how we know?

neat n clean.. no fuss no muss!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Jon, professionals don't use chewing gum to fill in spaces caused by grievous negligence!

That's what spray foam sealant is for.
    That's a very good approach, Terry. And more fun. Just don't get that stuff on your clothes.
    Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Goodman View Post
    You could use a .410 shotgun. Just attach the lensboard to a piece of wood and stand a few inches away from it when you fire the gun. Hole too small? Back up and try again. Hole too large? Get some duct tape and chewing gum to plug up the holes. Good luck.
    Jon
    Or the OP could send his lensboard to me.
    The next time the aliens come visit, I'll have them cut a hole with their equivalent of a Swiss-Army knife, which includes a small plasma torch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    rotate the board with geared table (forget what it is called)
    A rotary table.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    For the sake of your fingers and unless you enjoy the sight of your own blood, if you're drilling or hole cutting in sheet metal, put the workpiece in a vise or clamp it securely . As the drill bit breaks though its likely to snag the work piece and twirl it around, nicely butchering your hand. The chassis punches mentioned earlier are great things, but the ones I've used require a hole drilled in the center of the work piece, so still be careful.
    Instead of using a vice you may secure the lens-board to a wooden board (e.g. with small screws or nails, at the lens-board edges) - the advantage is that the drill doesn't break through to void, rather to wood; and that you may secure all 4 edges; and, last-but-not-least, you may drill a piloting hole in the wooden board.
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+49 176 7327 8527|skype:cezzem

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin