Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,928   Online: 938

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is a kind of drill with several diameters, which works wonders if you can find one of the right size.

Don't know the english term for this, it looks like this
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I would use my Sherline Mill, drilling a small center whole so i could then rotate the board with geared table (forget what it is called) and cutting the hole as it rotates.
    Securing the center of the lensboard isn't sufficient. You need to secure the outside edges too, so that the board doesn't move as the cutter goes through it. Put a piece of waste underneath and tighten everything down.

Charley

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    There is a kind of drill with several diameters, which works wonders if you can find one of the right size.
    The largest size I got in my assortment goes up to 32mm. I assume one would hardly find anything substantially bigger.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Seriously, the best lensboard method I've settled on myself is to forget about metal lensboards and fabricate them out of hobby plywood from the hobby shop. With ingenuity, you can make an exact replica or BETTER doing it this way. That way an ordinary brace and bit with adjustable bit is used to bore the hole slightly smaller, then sanded to fit the lens perfectly. I am very happy with all the lensboards I fabricated this way. And the cost was perhaps 2 dollars for materials. I would never consider going back to factory-made lens boards. Mine are beautiful and trustworthy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post
    Securing the center of the lensboard isn't sufficient. You need to secure the outside edges too, so that the board doesn't move as the cutter goes through it. Put a piece of waste underneath and tighten everything down.

Charley
    That is what the geared rotary table is for, the board is clamped to it, then the table rotates slowly, as the mill cuts the whole. Probably easier to understand for those who have a milling machine.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    That is what the geared rotary table is for, the board is clamped to it, then the table rotates slowly, as the mill cuts the whole. Probably easier to understand for those who have a milling machine.
    I was assuming that you were securing the board with a single bolt through the middle. Without a piece of waste under the board, as the cutter finishes cutting the hole it will (a) score the rotary table and (b) cause the outside of the board to come loose and get torn by the cutter. Been there, done that.

That's the manual rotary table; get the CNC rotary table and your dreams will be in TechniColor

Charley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c.d.ewen View Post
    I was assuming that you were securing the board with a single bolt through the middle. Without a piece of waste under the board, as the cutter finishes cutting the hole it will (a) score the rotary table and (b) cause the outside of the board to come loose and get torn by the cutter. Been there, done that.

That's the manual rotary table; get the CNC rotary table and your dreams will be in TechniColor

Charley
    Everything you say it true. I was not attempting to give machinist lessons here, I will leave that to others. Rather, increasing awareness in case a person knew someone who did machining, as either hobbyist or pro.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin