Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,418   Online: 803

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vivitar Flash Meter Repair

I picked up a nice Vivitar flash meter for almost nothing. Looks brand new, but readings are off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file-153.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	74462

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Inspection of insides reveals no signs of tampering. Trimmers don't have enough range to get it correct...must be something else...

Name:	file-151.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	74463
    Last edited by ic-racer; 09-16-2013 at 07:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Inspection of the front looks like a little piece of ND plastic is missing from the photoresistor opening. No problem, plenty of graded ND available in old control strips.
    With a little trial-and-error, I found a piece of film with a density to exactly match the response a newer flash, known to produce acceptable exposures. Linearity is good without having to adjust the internal trimmers; 3ft, 6ft, & 12ft flash distances demonstrate the appropriate 2 stop drop.

Name:	file-152.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	74464
    Last edited by ic-racer; 09-16-2013 at 07:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    and the verdict is………...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    and the verdict is………...
    Did you miss post #3?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Did you miss post #3?
    No, I saw that and am trying to roll it around in this ole noggin.

In novicespeak, does it work well now throughout the range? I guess it's the 2 stop comp you mention that is confusing me?
    edit: okay I get it, the distance falloff is what you're saying…correct?

Shooter
    Multi Format

In novicespeak, does it work well now throughout the range? I guess it's the 2 stop comp you mention that is confusing me?
    Double the distance between a flash and the meter and it should read 2 stops less for each doubling of the distance. That is the test for linearity of the response; no need for any calibrated light source, you just need an accurate way to measure distance and a repeatable flash.

So, yes it works perfectly.

Again, that was just the linearity test. The cheap-and-dirty calibration involved flashing a known to be good SB-28 Nikon flash, set to non-TTL auto, at various f-stops and reading the reflected value with Vivitar meter set to 'reflected light.' White wall, black wall, gray wall, it does not matter. Distance does not matter either. When the meter read the same f-stop as the flash was set for, it was considered 'calibrated.'

Realize that these inexpensive digital units just are accurate to a single f-stop. This Vivitar branded unit was also sold as Polaris or Shepherd FM800 and Novatron used to market one also:

Name:	FM02.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	74470
    Last edited by ic-racer; 09-16-2013 at 08:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's really excellent you made this one come back to the living with a piece of spent film no doubt!

Bravo my man!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is interesting -- I bought a Shepherd FM 900 many years ago and it still works with the 9 volt battery !
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Multi Format

Here you go, Bruce. It's really pretty simple. Law of inverse squares - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...sion/isql.html

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin