Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,372   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Gendered Cameras

Maybe most cameras are manufactured for right hand users.
    Maybe most rangefinders are made for left eye dominant photographers.

But are most cameras gender-specific, that is male-oriented?

The thought crossed my mind when I met Ann at the chatroom and she
    told us that she sold her Hasselblad because it did not fit her hands.
    I joked about the camera being "a man's camera".
    Then Nicole posts at the forums looking for advice on how to get a smaller,
    lighter camera to fit her gentler hands.

We all are familiar with the great number of women photographers, but do they just put up with the heavier, buklier cameras that boys design for themselves?
    Would that be a problem for new female photographers to get serious into photography and exchange a light compact for a heavier "serious" camera?

Granted its just a passing maybe silly thought and not a conspiracy theory, but aren't the forums for chit chatting about silly passing thoughts as well?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    But are most cameras gender-specific, that is male-oriented?

We all are familiar with the great number of women photographers, but do they just put up with the heavier, buklier cameras that boys design for themselves?
    I think you are right. I believe most camera designers are men (I don't know that, really) and they design what is right for them. It is the same with cars. When they brought a woman into designing cars she suggested making an adjustable "heel rest" so that women can drive comfortably whether they are wearing high heels or shoes without heels. This the boys wouldn't have come up with. Maybe we need to put Ann, Cheryl, Nicole et.al. into Nikon, Canon and others to contribute to designing cams that will fit the smaller hands of girls.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have fairly big hands, and wide palms. Once upon a time when I was considering buying a non-silver-based camera, I went around the shops looking at their offerings. At that time the top "camera" was a sculpted thing with more buttons than you can see at the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace...

I picked it up, and immidiately put it down again saying to the salesperson "it's amazing that such a technically advanced object can be so impossible to hold comfortably". My fingers are too long to fit around the grip, my palms too wide to fit the grip, and I would have had to amputate half of my index finger to reach the release button.

It's not just women - there are far too many cameras that simply aren't made for humans! (I'll include the Linhoif Technika III 5x7" in that - a marvel of engineering, but hopeless ergonomics for hand-held shooting. So why fit a rangefinder you can't see through with you right eye?)
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I look at some of the later Nikons, all about the size of a volume of The Encyclopaedia Britannica, it amazes me anyone would buy a 35mm camera so ridiculously large.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    When I look at some of the later Nikons, all about the size of a volume of The Encyclopaedia Britannica, it amazes me anyone would buy a 35mm camera so ridiculously large.
    Except that they're 35mm's, people with hands like mine could maybe want them?

Not really - the ergonomics is awful even for me
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you have a point. My wife really prefers her Bronica mounted to a Speed Grip so she can use both hands and have a comfortable grip and thumbwinder with shutter release in the same place. It makes it heavier but works better, even on a tripod.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Size matters

Seriously I like having my rather large Canon EOS Elan 7E equipped with the battery pack to get the best grip whether holding it vertically or horizontally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I absolutely refuse to use any of those macho pieces of male jewellery with testosterone-infused names like 'Nikon' and, even worse, 'Canon'. These were so clearly designed for the sole purpose of oppressing women that they cannot have any part in a truly egalitarian, liberated society. Pink Mirandas will be the cameras of the future, it's only a matter of time. Right now the best that you can do is to use a nice fluffy angorra ever-ready case to cover your hideous, offensive monster.

Best,
    Helen

PS Handy tip for us weak little girls: ask your hubby to drill holes in your camera to reduce the weight and make it easier to fish out from the bottom of your shopping bag. All those bits of glass should be removed as well: they are actually quite dangerous as well as being rather heavy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    These were so clearly designed for the sole purpose of oppressing women that they cannot have any part in a truly egalitarian, liberated society.
    Of course they are...I use mine this way...I oppress my wife with it...I will NOT tell you the details here

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I have fairly big hands, and wide palms. Once upon a time when I was considering buying a non-silver-based camera, I went around the shops looking at their offerings. At that time the top "camera" was a sculpted thing with more buttons than you can see at the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace...

I picked it up, and immidiately put it down again saying to the salesperson "it's amazing that such a technically advanced object can be so impossible to hold comfortably". My fingers are too long to fit around the grip, my palms too wide to fit the grip, and I would have had to amputate half of my index finger to reach the release button.

It's not just women - there are far too many cameras that simply aren't made for humans! (I'll include the Linhoif Technika III 5x7" in that - a marvel of engineering, but hopeless ergonomics for hand-held shooting. So why fit a rangefinder you can't see through with you right eye?)
    I have small hands, yet I feel most comfortable holding a Nikon F5 over an F100. For some reason, the F100, even with its grip attached made me want to drop it (it just repulsed me for some reason). I can't explain that feeling.

As for the compact cameras, I'm more likely to put my finger over the lens on those tiny (for the most part) things.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin