Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,076   Online: 739

Shooter
    35mm

retrofitting split image focussing screen in Minolta 110 zoom SLR MK1

Hello everyone,

I've become addicted to the split image focussing on my Praktica MTL5, for once every photo on the roll came out how I wanted!

I'm thinking of trying to fit one into my favorite camera, the Minolta 110 Zoom SLR MK1. I kow the mark 2 version has such a focussing screen and wondered if these were more or less the same part, were similar enough to sort of "wedge in" for lack of a better phrase, could be modified to fit or were just to different to even attempt.

A friend has the MK2 version but unsurprisingly was unwilling to let me have a quick poke about in it. I also can't find any service manuals for the MK2 version anywhere online.

If anyone has scans of the MK2 service/assembly manual or a diagramatic drawing of the split screen assembly confirming dimensions I'd be extremely grateful.

Many Thanks, Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    What I'm curious about is what are you doing for film. As far as I know they don't make any 110 film.

Shooter
    35mm
    As far as I know they don't make any 110 film.
    Lomography has someone doing 110 film for them since last year. 110 is now available in colour negative, B&W and slide films.
    Search this forum and you'll see it mention a few times since last year.
    There's also a small group in China called Fukkatsu. They do ISO 400 colour negative 110 film: http://filmphotographyproject.com/co...3-here-and-now
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F50, F55, F60, 2xF601, F65, 3xF75, F801, 2x F801S, F80, F90, 4xF90X, EL2, FE, FM, 2xFG, FG-20, 3xEM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also reuse the cartridges if you are crafty and load 16mm cine or microfilm in it. 16mm film is really, really cheap and abundant.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been reloading old 110 cartridges with microfilm and cut down 120 film. I can get expired stuff for a song and it works just as well as new stuff in my experience. I usually don't use the backing paper and modify the cassette to take 40-50 exposures, with holes punched in the film using a modified hole punch to limit wastage.

I just like playing I guess

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are a tinkerer type you could try scraping remjet off 16mm cine film, you would be getting colour film for peanuts with holes pre-punched. Or just shoot tmax in 16mm, also for peanuts I know that I am gonna do that when I finally get some spare time to look more into submini.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like I should be changing my shooter type to 16mm/110

Shooter
    35mm
    Just out of curiosity, what are focussing screens usually made of? If they're plastic then I can just cut/file down a larger one to fit, if they're glass then I'll have to see if I can cut it precisely somehow.

From the MK1 service manual it seems to be a plain square element of unknown dimensions, i'd say maybe 10mm by 10mm as a guestimate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen both glass and acrylic. I use thin sheet of acrylic that has a piece of Lee diffusing gel taped over in one of my DIY cameras. Glass is better.

Shooter
    35mm
    I managed to get one for an olympus camera from a very helpful old style photography shop (Wish these were more common) so I'll mess around over the weekend. Thinking of wet-sanding with the finest emery cloth I can find.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin