Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,906   Posts: 1,521,421   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Pacemaker Graphic Crinkle Paint?

Since the fine folks on the LFF seem to have encountered difficulties, I'll bring my topic over here. I'm not seeing much info on sprouting a new idea on what to do about coming up with some crinkle paint on the Pacemaker series of Graphics. I've used crinkle black in spray cans before, but that is not the right stuff. The Pacemakers are not black, they're are a duller grayer color for one, and it's more a cross between a sandy/crinkle in finish. Naturally, simply mixing sand or flour with paint and spraying it on is not what I'm talking about. As far as I can think of, the black paint on the operator's side metal parts, and ground glass frame, and Graflok are nothing I've seen on any other machinery of that era. I wonder how to deal with that in a restoration.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/index.php
    see the "search" link?
    crinkle paint with all the terms selected gives 4 useless hits.
    paint with "speed help" as the fourm searched results in 95 hits
    with : http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=608
    as the most relevant.
    a search with wrinkle finish and all the terms selected would have gotten you there also.
    The original color is Black, what you see now is the faded, aged version that may have embedded skin oils and dirt from the environment the camera was used in.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you. But I hardly agree they are faded or stained from skin oils. I've been seeing crinkle black on more things that can be counted. The Graflex stuff is a kind in itself. But, SF, you did lead me to find it is an electro-plated process and matching with applied paint will not be an easy match. I'm thinking an application of paint, a spray of starch or flour, and a 3rd coat of the same paint to lock it in, might be a reasonable first attempt at a color/texture match. Certainly I am not the first boob to successfully repaint a Graflex.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    if you ever see a well preserved Pacemaker Crown or Speed that is near factory fresh as possible it will be Black with a sheen close to flat but with a little more gloss than flat but not much.
    Trying to match an existing finish is another topic all together.
    From my hardware store days the wrinkle finish is achieved by adding extra (fast evaporating?) solvent to the paint.
    I use flat black on the inside of Graflex/Graphic bodies I repair and Rust-oleum satin black for exterior touch up. The Graflex Corp. original is somewhere between the two.

The Pacemaker Graflok Back frame is Magnesium.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You and I are thinking along the same lines SF. thanks. It is glossier than flat, but not much. It is NOT black-black, like spray paint crinkle, or any other black paint. And as for crinkle paint, I have found that too-thin coats and it will not crinkle at all, so I apply that thinking to spray-gun with faster solvent. Crinkle paint and Graflex finishes are really totally different.I don't think any kind of crinkle paint is the answer. I'll lay aside a while for the thread to show up in the search engines.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crinkle-coat finish varies quite a bit with temperature and of course thickness of application. Temperature makes a huge difference.

If you don't find the tone you want in a rattle can, there are powder coat versions in a variety of colors as well. Why not crinkle coat your speed like a bright red ferrari valve cover or intake plenum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Crinkle-coat finish varies quite a bit with temperature and of course thickness of application. Temperature makes a huge difference.

If you don't find the tone you want in a rattle can, there are powder coat versions in a variety of colors as well. Why not crinkle coat your speed like a bright red ferrari valve cover or intake plenum
    I vote for flourescent lime green.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    how about just buffing/polishing the metal parts? The side panel is brass, and would take a fantastic shine if buffed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a crinkle finish on a can from the UK's large motor store (it's own brand) and after spraying I let it dry a minute or so then place in a warm oven (electric NOT gas) , that gives the best crinkle finish and is close to the original. I only use that on the focus hood on Pacemakers and the exterior of the back on a Super Graphic. The Other parts I use gloss black and a very light coat of satin clack.

The original colour is definitely black but it's aged and looks duller. Paints from the era Graflex made these cameras age over time.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It finally dawned on me that the paint used in the Graphic era was lead based which would explain why we are having so much difficulty matching the shades in this age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin