Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,835   Online: 1147

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon FM2n Jams on 1/30

Hi

I have a Nikon FM2n which seems to work fine and really smoothly, until I move the speed dial onto 1/30 sec. It then lets me take the shot, but the shutters remain open and the mirror is locked up and I can't wind the film on. The only way to unjam it is to move the shutter speed dial to 1/500. Then the mirror drops and the curtains close. It seems to work perfectly on all other speeds.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Edit: Actually the same happens on 1/4 and I have to move the speed dial to unjam it. This mainly unjams at 1/60, but sometimes I need to turn the speed dial to other speeds to unjam it.
    Last edited by Roundabout; 10-22-2013 at 06:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Couple of questions. Is this a new camera to you? If not, how long have you had the camera and when did this start happening?
    It sounds like a problem for a repair person and if the shutter needs replacing you may be better off getting a different FM2n. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, new to me.

I think I'll send it back. Repair is not worth it.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can return the camera...do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
    Hi

I have a Nikon FM2n which seems to work fine and really smoothly, until I move the speed dial onto 1/30 sec. It then lets me take the shot, but the shutters remain open and the mirror is locked up and I can't wind the film on. The only way to unjam it is to move the shutter speed dial to 1/500. Then the mirror drops and the curtains close. It seems to work perfectly on all other speeds.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Edit: Actually the same happens on 1/4 and I have to move the speed dial to unjam it. This mainly unjams at 1/60, but sometimes I need to turn the speed dial to other speeds to unjam it.
    Sounds like the slow speed governor is dry, a simple enough fix (if that is indeed the problem) with a CLA.
    But if you just bought the thing and it's doing this, return it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks folks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    happened to me with an FE. IN MY CASE, a simple battery replacement did the tric.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    happened to me with an FE. IN MY CASE, a simple battery replacement did the tric.
    Alas, that won't work here. The FM2n only uses the battery for the meter.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin