Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,576   Posts: 1,545,712   Online: 762

Shooter
    4x5 Format

I have but one dream, to build a Hobo style 8x10 point and shoot. I have no idea.

Hello, I have been looking for plans to build a camera very similar to the Hobo 8x10 point and shoot. I will be right up front in saying I don't really have any
    skills in doing such a thing, unless I actually have a plan in front of me which I could roughly build or get the help of a friend. These days I have to be very frugal and selective with photography so this is a perfect camera for me. I would just like to ask if anyone has any plans or rough ideas to make one of these that they would share I'd be so happy. Kind of curious what lens I would need for this as well, just looking for something simple like this so I can still get the 8x10 joy I so love. Nowadays I do contact printing and it would be wonderful to do so with a negative other than a medium format negative which seems so pointless sometimes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome to APUG! Where are you located. The original branded "hobo" camera that was sold through Bostick and Sullivan many moons ago was an invention of a friend of mine...heck, he still might have some framing jigs left. Maybe I can put you two in contact?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nothing wrong with smaller contact prints - How about this wet plate camera ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just googled and found this with pics of an original Hobo, I'd never heard of one, but it looks like a nice piece of woodwork.

How about an injection-moulded plastic camera based on the Travelwide, just embiggened up to 8x10? Maybe you could convince the Wanderlust guys to make that their next project?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well I am up in the lovely state of Maine where it is very chilly right now!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have never built a camera before and never used a 8x10 view camera before? These 8x10 pinhole cameras are available for less then $200 USD. I don't see how one could build a Hobo style camera for less than that if you don't have a lens and have never built a camera before. If you like it you could then adapt a lens to the camera, which might be easier than making the whole thing from scratch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqVHJBUFHyHTkOkEBR9Z36BbBQ~~60_57.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	76868

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Hobo was intended to be handholdable, wasn't it? Pretty hard to achieve that with a pinhole or an Afghan box camera.

The Gowland Aerial would be the other entry in the same basic niche, I think, but there can't be too many of them out there (in any format, never mind 8x10).

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin