Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,542   Online: 836

Shooter
    35mm

Home made filters

Hello,

I have lots of good quality glass from a greenhouse (obviously not optical quality glass) which I intend to cut down to make focusing screens for 5x4 home made cameras, home made wet plates for the same cameras etc... and I came up with the idea earlier of using some of the glass to make some interesting filters to fit my Cokin/Kood A holder.

Has anybody had any experience with making their own filters from sheets of glass? Any tips or ideas to share?

p.s. if anybody is local to me and want's some glass I have far more than I will manage to use.
    http://thevdm.com - My personal website and list of projects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Filters can be made this way. In fact some are still made by sandwiching the filter material between two pieces of glass rather than using dyed glass.

The thing to be aware of is you're not using glass with optical coatings so depending on the situation you might get more flare and some reflection (ie transmission loss).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know glass can be dyed as in photographic filters and some sun glasses so I'm sure an internet search will be helpful. I have made a couple of graduated filters (yellow and orange) using Cokin or Lee clear filter blanks which may have been polyester, polycarbonate or acrylic. They were supposed to be of optical quality. I used RIT clothing dyes heated and hand dunked until they looked right. They do work and I have used them to affect the sky while not changing the foreground. I made them a number of years ago and there may be similar ones commercially available now.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Is it possible to make bandpass filters with dyes ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mustafa,
    Hi. Check out Thorlabs bandpass filters. I always thought that an easy way to make a filter would be 2 sheets of glass and dyed liquid in between. You could even make a permanent reusable cell.
    Regards
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin