Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,080   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: corrosion

Shooter
    Multi Format

corrosion

Hey Y'all,
    I'm new here and haven't searched the forum and am not sure if I'm in the right place to ask this question.
    Please straighten me out if this ain't the place OK?
    I have a 60 plus year old Crown Graphic which hasn't seen the light of day for 10 or more years. When I checked it out the other day,it has some white corrosion type stuff around the back(mostly on the metal parts).Any suggestions as to removing said stuff?
    Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.....
    Thanks,
    Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

Where is the corrosion? Can you post photographs of the corrosion?

Also check out graflex.org for Graflex-Speed Graphic-Crown Graphic questions.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I know what white corrosion you're talking about. And the Graflexes sure could get it. Although I have no constructive advice on how to get rid of it outside of re-prepping and re-painting. But good luck finding a paint match because I know of none.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I concur. To lessen risk to cosmetic damage of the rest of the camera, you would be best to disassemble, or have disassembled by someone who does this at least on a regular basis if you are not sure, and have the affected pieces cleaned. It would not take much, the flick of an applicator brush or some such to get the presumably caustic chemicals that will be needed and have a few drops end up on the bellows or something else that is both vital and not so hardy in substance.

In any event, use caution.

For a paint match, it should not be so hard. So long as the surfaces to be painted are prepped properly the work should be very long lasting. Matching just takes an eye for color. And don;t rely on the lid. Either compare some chips closely or get a few different cans you think might be the ticket and make some chips/panels for use to compare with the original. If you have no examples, you just might need to employ a little creative license.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Top Rangefinder or Side Rangefinder? Back removal instructions are the same for all back types used on Pacemakers but the back disassembly is for the Graflok only in this service manual:
    http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...vicemanual.pdf
    The back is made of Magnesium.
    Brush it off with a stiff bristle brush or a brass wire bristle brush once the back is removed from the body.
    See this recent thread for paint suggestions.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...kle-paint.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You'd be amazed at what a little elbow grease and a wetted rag can do for a camera's cosmetics. If you're the brave sort, using a touch of bleach w/ the water will help. Others will gasp at this, but I often use a little WD40 and a Q-tip on stubborn areas. There's nearly always enough stuff under the sink or in the pantry in most people's homes to get things all cleaned up again.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you determine that you're dealing with mold or mildew (caused by long storage in a moist environment), then this is a good source of information on how to clean up the mess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    0000 or 00000 Scotch Bright pads and paste wax work well for removing light corrosion. Use a very light touch if you're working on metals other than steel (as in the case of you're Crown).
    (Note, this is a steel wool equivalent grade, it's far finer than the stuff sold for scrubbing pans)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. Brush is off with a soft brash brush.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Naval Jelly is sold at most hardware stores and a simple application of it to the corroded area does wonders. Leave it on for about ten minutes and then wipe off with a clean cloth.

First, try this on a tiny part that will not be noticed in case a discoloration is left on the metal. - David Lyga

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin