Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,560   Online: 1016

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an attachment that lets me take a photo at 90 degrees to the way the camera is pointing. It uses a mirror. However, I usually don't have it with me and just shoot by estimating the focus and shoot from the hip so its not noticeable that I am taking photos. Easy with a camera like an M2, and if using a SLR, resort to mirror lockup to quite the shutter noise.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zone focus ahead of time, pre-set your exposure settings, and frame fast... then hope. But never forget what you said, "People deserve their privacy..."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a few candid shots several years ago by using a camera with a waist level finder and pretending to be checking and adjusting the controls. If the camera is hanging by its strap at your waist, it looks a lot less like you're getting ready to take a picture. People nowadays associate picture taking with bringing the camera to eye level or holding it in front of the face.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Put a TLR in a giant Teletubby plush toy, then hang it around your neck. You'll look weird as all get-out but nobody will bother you as they'll think you're certifiably nuts. That, or scale focus and frame loose so you have plenty of room to crop if the in-camera composition is wonky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Use your phone or look away from where you are shooting.
    Phones take photographs?? How do you put film in and where do you get it processed??
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the telephone office...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanx AgX
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Using any of my Nikon F/F2/F3 bodies, I just remove the finder (or use a WLF) and hold the camera at waist level. Pre-focus the lens and frame the shot looking down at the focusing screen. You can even face away from your subject with the lens pointed in their direction. I just try to act like I'm fiddling with the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My advice on this subject is the same as I always give to this sort of question, use as small a 35mm camera as possible with the smoothest edge profile, something like an Olympus XA, so it won't be too painful when one of your subjects who takes offence at being photographed eventually stick it where the sun don't shine
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    At the telephone office...
    Hahaha. Indeed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin