Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,169   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Anyone Using a Camera That Doesn't Look Like a Camera For Candids?

This is maybe the wrong place but I don't know where else to ask the question. I ride the bus and always have my camera w/ me. Day after day I see great shots, but I don't want to have any confrontations. People deserve their privacy in a closed environment too. But, I would if I could. I keep thinking of those incredible candid shots that Walker Evans took, so I'm thinking I need some sort of film camera that doesn't look like a camera to try something similar. Does anyone have any recommendations, or is this a DIY thing? I'd need to hold it up to my eye to compose w/ maybe a scale focus lens. Not sure on the exposures because the light is all over the place on the buses. The bus makes noise, so it wouldn't have to be that quiet. Even a Minox would be too conspicuous because it looks like a camera. I've done this w/ TLR's and SLR's by scale focusing, but I'd like to have something that could frame the shot better on the sly. You can fiddle around and play it off w/ those, but I think people usually know what's up. I'm looking for real stealth.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Problem is, if you go real stealthy-looking, even something like Google Glass that doesn't look like a camera, if anyone *does* realise you're taking pictures of them, they'll be even more annoyed (and might think that you're a private detective following them).
    If you poke a TLR/SLR/RF in their face, at least they know what's going on and if they don't like it they can turn their head and you just don't take the shot.
    (although you're still going to get some who confront you with ill-informed BS about privacy laws. And especially when shooting film you'll still get the inevitable "can you delete that" question that you can't comply with...)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even a Minox would be too conspicuous because it looks like a camera.
    Does a Minox EC look like a camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tessina http://www.submin.com/35mm/collection/tessina/index.htm

When I was in college I built and used one of these hhttp://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/candid-photography-spy-lens/
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    come to think of it, I was watching this item on fleabay a while ago...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's an intersting blog on your problem and how to deal with it. Good for all street shooters.
    http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2...hy/#more-14818

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Klein.. what an article ... thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think that attempting to disguise the camera is likely to be successful and if found out then this just makes things worse.

You describe yourself as a MF shooter but I'd be tempted to get a smallish 35mm with at least a 24mm or even 21mm lens and appear to be taking pics of the scene outside the bus. Do that for a few minutes and others will soon ignore you. You can then either get the inside as well as the outside scenes with such a wide angle or even take some almost wholly inside.

If you appear to be snapping all around then people soon see you as some-one who has become part of the "furniture" as they say. Clearly do not be tempted to "pick anyone in particular out". Be patient as well and miss a shot if it risks causing trouble

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use your phone or look away from where you are shooting. Its okay if your pointing at People as long as you seen least interested and use cable release.

I haven't done this with cable release but the looking away works when I try shooting candids at an event.

sent from tap-a-talk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin