Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,124   Online: 1268

Shooter
    35mm

Will graphene figure into the paradigm of future lens making?

Graphene, (isolated in 2004 by Andre Geim and Konstantin Novoselov at the University of Manchester; they won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2010), essentially a one atom layer of graphite which is unbelievably strong, is slowly emerging into the marketplace as a coating which provides extreme durability for cell phone monitors.

I am wondering if anyone has heard of pending optical applications as a coating for lens elements. Certainly, the ability to almost guarantee scratch-proof lenses has to be of major importance. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Its more important to mix these nanopowders with polymers and create hybrid lenses. There is an immense collection of books cover such high index coatings. And these mixtures creates repairing mechanical oils , smaller electronics and micromechanic parts MEMS. If you want , I try to send pdf ebooks via email.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think the future technology of graphene has much greater potential outside lens technology.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you both. Mustafa, I am not really acclimated towards the scientific aspects.

I heard, overnight (on NPR radio), the BBC major report on graphene and was really amazed with how a one atom thick coating could be so strong and, largely, transparent. My first thoughts came to lens coatings after it was announced that major Korean manufacturers had gained patents for coating mobile phone screens. There is going to be lots of new applications to come, possible lens coatings only one of many. - David Lyga

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin