Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,076   Online: 878

Shooter
    35mm

Adding / modifying flash sync help. Canon Rangfinder 2F knob wind LTM type

I have a, new to me, Canon 2F ( IIF for search assistance) that of course has a nearly useless flash sync bar for bulb flash.

Yes, I know about the test gizmo that uses household, that is an option, but a bulky one and it would cost half what I paid for the camera, so I am not very excited about that.

I am considering adding an X flash to mine. You could help me with photos of one of the following:
    • A modified unit that has one added.
    • One where the flash sync contacts have been modified to work at electronic strobe speed.
    • You have one with X flash circuitry and are willing to take a photo of the base with the film loading instruction plate removed.
    • X sync addons on you cameras so I can do it in a customary way.

For those of you itching to suggest I send it out for a pro, too late; it is in a bajillion pieces for curtain replacement. I cannot afford to have someone do this. The camera apart. so now is the time for me to do this.

Thanks!
    (also posted in Rangefinder forum.)
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Canon IIb which has no flash synch of any type. The full gate speed on the b is 1/20 sec, I think the IIf has a full gate speed of 1/25? No matter, the full gate speed would be your max X synch speed. Typically when the first curtain is fully open, the X contacts close. It might (should?) be a simple matter to retime the existing contacts and use the existing bar as a connection by making a connector to slide onto the bar. I would not, at this point in time, modify one of these cameras in any way. Retiming the existing contacts and using the existing connection would be a way to get X synch without making any permanent changes.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know about the test gizmo that uses household
    What do you refer to by this?

Concerning synchronisation there would be two ways:

-) modifying the contacts to make them close the moment the shutter is wide open (start of the 2nd curtain)

-) making an electronic device (maybe even in form of an external adaptor) that contains an electronic switch that is delayed by just that time the current synchronisation is in advance. Fine tuning could be done by experiment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    What do you refer to by this?
    This is the Self extension adapter:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	683792593_o.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	79420

Name:	$_57.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	79419
    And rare as hens teeth is this:

Name:	$T2eC16VHJH!FFl5R!VcpBSdbgf)-,g~~60_57.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	79421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqRHJCoFJlO3PCfjBSdbgbLLRQ~~60_57.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	79422

current state of camera for those interested:

Name:	IMG_7151.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	79423
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin