Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,162   Online: 702

Shooter
    Multi Format

Best adhesive for reflex mirror

The reflex mirror glass in my Nikon F came loose from its frame.

What glue/adhesive would you recommend to hold it in place?

Shooter
    35mm
    A liquid form of superglue applied very carefully using a needle with a tinyl drop on each corner of the frame. use a pair of tweezers to place the mirror into the frame and wear surgical gloves to lightly press the edges to seat the mirror.

Anything thicker than liquid glue may shift your mirror out of alignment and upset the focussing. Not by much but not right.

I did the same to a Minolta SRT101b years ago and it still is in place today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your suggestion. I was thinking about superglue and the alignment.

Not being sure how these mirrors are made, I didn't want to use something that would deteriorate the mirror coating either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think you have to be concerned about the back of the mirror as the front is silvered.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Rick. Good to know, not like a household mirror with the silvering on the back of the glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by drkhalsa View Post
    Thanks for your suggestion. I was thinking about superglue and the alignment.

Not being sure how these mirrors are made, I didn't want to use something that would deteriorate the mirror coating either.
    There are a-cyanoacrlyate adhesives ('superglue") that allow a longer working time, look in hobby shops. The only way to damage the mirror is by mishandling, surgical or cotton gloves is very good advice. Use a Q-tip to press (GENTLY!!) on the mirror if you cannot get gloves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And do a focus test afterwards - if the mirror isn't in the right location, the entire focusing system will need to be re-calibrated.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin