Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,446   Online: 821

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dirk, I'd pay a maximum of $15 for 3 plate holders and $30 for a Rada or Rollex roll film back, you'd also need to find some film inserts.

I'll check out what plate holders I have, there's two boxes and over 150 of various sizes & edge fittings, I've only done a quick sort and still need to identify them. I should have some for a Maximar.

With roll film backs you need to be careful as they were available for 620 film as well as 120. I really need to compile a good table of the different types/edge fittings with photos/illustrations & measurements. It'll take a few days then I can do more accurate identifications.

Ian.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk79 View Post
    Is it possible to focus the camera reasonably without using a ground glass back? Can I set it to infinity, high f-stop and get reasonable images out of it that way?
    Most cameras have focus scales with marks from infinity to around 6 feet or so. If you are stopped down a bit these can be fairly accurate for focusing without using the ground glass. Framing can be a bit trickier since the wire frame viewing mechanisms are geared toward the full 9x12cm area and not the smaller 6x9cm size. Still, it can be done with practice.

As for what to pay for backs and holders, I agree with what Ian said, although I might pay a bit more for a good condition Rada roll film back. I have both a Rada and a Rollex and the Rada is much nicer by far in terms of construction and ease of use, but both will work fine if they are in decent shape.

If you are patient and willing to wait a while, good deals will turn up on Eb@y or elsewhere. Last year I picked up a set of 9x12 holders and a very nice condition Rada back in a leather case for around $20 total. Much to my surprise all of the holders had film sheaths in them, but this was not noted in the item description. Many sellers aren't sure of what they have and might not use the proper terminology in their listings so a detailed browse through the "Accessories" section of the film camera category can yield hidden gems.

Jonathan

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    German ebay is good for these things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edp View Post
    German ebay is good for these things.
    Ebay is one common database and login (account) details are identical for each portal as are data liked saved items, sellers, feedback etc. However different portals use different sub categories and some things on ebay.de don't map over to ebay.com or .co.uk aetc (and vice versa). So it's definitely worth searching German ebay.de - I do if there's a German item that's hard to find elsewhere.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Dirk, I'd pay a maximum of $15 for 3 plate holders and $30 for a Rada or Rollex roll film back, you'd also need to find some film inserts.

I'll check out what plate holders I have, there's two boxes and over 150 of various sizes & edge fittings, I've only done a quick sort and still need to identify them. I should have some for a Maximar.

With roll film backs you need to be careful as they were available for 620 film as well as 120. I really need to compile a good table of the different types/edge fittings with photos/illustrations & measurements. It'll take a few days then I can do more accurate identifications.

Ian.
    Excellent, thanks!! I don't care if I get the absolute best price, but having a rough estimate is INCREDIBLY helpful. There are some rediculous prices on ebay for some of this stuff...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Most cameras have focus scales with marks from infinity to around 6 feet or so. If you are stopped down a bit these can be fairly accurate for focusing without using the ground glass. Framing can be a bit trickier since the wire frame viewing mechanisms are geared toward the full 9x12cm area and not the smaller 6x9cm size. Still, it can be done with practice.

As for what to pay for backs and holders, I agree with what Ian said, although I might pay a bit more for a good condition Rada roll film back. I have both a Rada and a Rollex and the Rada is much nicer by far in terms of construction and ease of use, but both will work fine if they are in decent shape.

If you are patient and willing to wait a while, good deals will turn up on Eb@y or elsewhere. Last year I picked up a set of 9x12 holders and a very nice condition Rada back in a leather case for around $20 total. Much to my surprise all of the holders had film sheaths in them, but this was not noted in the item description. Many sellers aren't sure of what they have and might not use the proper terminology in their listings so a detailed browse through the "Accessories" section of the film camera category can yield hidden gems.

Jonathan
    There is a focus scale, so I think I'll try that and do a little bit of experimentation with the framing. I think I mentioned before - my first goal is to just be able to take pictures, higher quality will be a longer term project. Definitely exciting getting into this.
    Thanks for sharing the pricing info - it is really hard to judge by what's on ebay, so this is very helpful.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can measure the Inside Dimensions of the wire finder frame and the ID of the film gate and calculate the ratio between them then convert it to the equivalent for the roll film format you're using, cut a frame insert for the wire frame from foam core or similar material. Makes framing easier. One needs to take the lens angle of view into account when using lens outside of "normal" for the format focal length(s) when using a "sports" finder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    You can measure the Inside Dimensions of the wire finder frame and the ID of the film gate and calculate the ratio between them then convert it to the equivalent for the roll film format you're using, cut a frame insert for the wire frame from foam core or similar material. Makes framing easier. One needs to take the lens angle of view into account when using lens outside of "normal" for the format focal length(s) when using a "sports" finder.
    That sounds like a reasonable compromise between accuracy and convenience, thanks!

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can probably convert your otherwise useless film pack holder into a screen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edp View Post
    You can probably convert your otherwise useless film pack holder into a screen.
    I've converted film packs to hold a focus screen a few times for other people. I have a few film pack holders in a box somewhere not sure what fit, I know some are Quarter plate.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin