Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,881   Online: 834

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Kodak Retinette 1B Rangefinder Repair

I have a recently acquired a Kodak Retinette 1B Rangefinder camera which is in reasonably good condition and certainly usable but it has one issue though. The selenium light meter reads too bright and indicates a bit more than 2 stops of change for each stop in actual illumination change.

There is an adjustable resistor under the top cover which I have tried adjusting. It does move the needle position, but not enough and the other issue remains as well.

Can anyone advise me of the possible cause and / or solution?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Can you compensate by simply adjusting the ISO setting to account for the 2 stops? These cameras have excellent Reomar lenses by the way. They're triplets, but very sharp and make nice photos.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Can you compensate by simply adjusting the ISO setting to account for the 2 stops? These cameras have excellent Reomar lenses by the way. They're triplets, but very sharp and make nice photos.
    No because regardless of film speed the needle deflection is always twice what it should for the change in actual illumination. If the light changes by 1 stop, you have to change the shutter speed or aperture by 2 stops to center the needle again. If the light changes 2 stops, then you must adjust 4 stops.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I suspect the selenium cell to be defective. Camerapedia says the meter was made by Gossen. Only circuit testing will determine if it is the cell or support electronics or both.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin