Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,906   Posts: 1,521,422   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Roland and Caroline in a google search- they are uk camera collectors, and this is where I gained the confidence to peel apart shutters to clean them and bring them back to life. Buying a junk camra to test drive your techniques is recommneded.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You might try edromney.com for shutter repair info. Ed Romney produced and/or reprinted gobs of camera repair manuals, including a lot of info on shutter repair. He is deceased now, but his widow and son continue to publish and sell his manuals - they have an on-line catalogue at the above web address.

Smiff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter from Brazil View Post
    I need to do some work on a Compur Rapid shutter, mounted in a Bessa
    I neede some work (CLA) done on a sticking Compur shutter in a Vito II and took it to a Pro: it required 3 repeat visits before everything worked properly once again. Not for the fainthearted!

Subsequently, when I neede a CLA on a stuck (Seiko ?) shutter in a Minolta 7s, I approached the same guy, but got a polite refusal.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sometimes a naphta drop or two on the speed gears is enough, and somethimes a naphta bath. I got a Rolleicord Compur shutter going by putting almost invisible drops of fine oil on the speed gear axles. Don't take the shutter apart more than necessary.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rolleicord compur shutter repair

Here is a quick and effective solution to some Compur shutter problems.

It does not involve lighter fluid (not pure enough for these delicate mechanisms, as it leaves a residue).

It does not involve bathing the shutter unit (a practise which will remove all factory lubricant)

It does not require a major strip down to re-lubricate (perhaps only required in the very worst cases)

It has proved successful in virtually all shutters with ‘sticking’ slower speeds.

This method (given for the Compur found in a Rolleicord Art deco) is simple, works and can be found here: http://www.pbase.com/raynerj/repair

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Rayner,
    This is a nice method, but if you are this far, why not clean the speedbrake outside the shutter completely and re-oil with synthetic clock oil as you are supposed to do ?

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hope you succeed. Last week I had a monorail come to me as a deal, and it got extra sweet when the 210 Symmar with a non working shutter was brought back to life after under an hour on my bench.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Peter
    Yes indeed , I wrote this method to try and counter the amount of poor advice on the web, ie bathing in lighter fluid, stripping down the shutter leaves... It was also to try and stop those who don't know what they're doing reaching for an oil can and making things worse. Take your point though if you've cleaned it why not oil it.
    RaynerJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin