Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,352   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cleaning Tempor shutter

My Tempor shutter (on a Weltax) is slow on all speeds, but the selftimer runs on quite exactly 10 seconds. Does that mean that the clock/escapement is ok and that it is other parts of the mecanism that will need cleaning?
    I've cleaned the shutter and diaphragm leafes, and put some photoes here.

Salve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that's correct. The self-timer escapement is essentially a self-contained unit, and whether it works or not doesn't affect the actual shutter speeds.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Nick
    (I wonder why that is...)
    But:
    Could the slightly greasy cocking rack be the main cause for slow speeds. Photo here.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Remove the cocking lever.
    Flush the gear train with degreaser or disassemble and clean the gear train. That blue painted screw bugs me, may be a void warranty seal.
    Put a straight pin point size drop of oil on the shaft end of any shaft in the top and bottom plates of the gear train.
    Apply a trace of light weight grease to the gear teeth of the gear train if possible.
    Apply a light coat of grease to the cocking lever teeth, and a trace to the inside edge of the center where it fits over the shutter housing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear all
    I'm rather new to all this, so I don't really know what and where things like "gear train" and "escapement" are. I hope you can use my photos (from my links above) to name the parts.
    I think I have the manual dexterity to do the work. After all, I reassembled the diaphragm. But I lack knowledge on the function and names of most parts of these mechanisms.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tempor.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	80510

Your other link with 16 pictures will not allow copying so I cannot show you the 9 shaft ends that need the pinpoint drop of oil on the bottom side of the delay(-self timer?) gear train but they are visible in photo 10.

P.S. Being you are not familiar with shutters and their delay gearing, flush it only, do not disassemble the delay gearing unless you can find a service manual for the shutter.
    Last edited by shutterfinger; 01-19-2014 at 04:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Right, just give it a good flush w/ lighter fluid. That will usually bring most shutters back from the dead. Don't take anything apart and you'll be fine.

My philosophy on self timers is that they don't make them. They're particularly prone to locking up old leaf shutters, so I simply pretend every camera I've owned doesn't have one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    just give it a good flush w/ lighter fluid
    the worst stuff you can use on a shutter. leaves an oily residue on everything. naphtha, its main ingredient can damage plastics and rubber components used in some shutters and strip protective coatings from others.

Electrical contact cleaner works well, CRC QD Electronic Cleaner is one of the best. Any degreaser that 1. leaves no residue, 2. is safe on most/all plastics are the only ones to use on shutters. Great Grand Fathers top product of the day is at the bottom at the bottom of the list today.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    Your other link with 16 pictures will not allow copying so I cannot show you the 9 shaft ends that need the pinpoint drop of oil on the bottom side of the delay(-self timer?) gear train but they are visible in photo 10.
    Good morning, and thank you! You can probably right click on the thumbnail and "Save link as" or "Open in new tab" or something similar, but here it is directly.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shutter back side.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	80535

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin