Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,347   Online: 991

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kowa SIX sorta SLA/reseal

As I've mentioned before, I have a couple SIX bodies and an assortment of lenses and accessories. As we're getting closer to another Spring, I'm thinking about dusting 'em off and loading them up for some outings.
    Current issues:
    -The light seals are rotten, but fortunately, most of the sealing on these cameras appear to be mechanical, with the only soft seals being around the top and bottom of the door opening. That'll be super easy with some stock material and the usual cleaning techniques.

-The little folding bail on the back release is missing on both bodies. One has been replaced by a piece of bent wire, the other one just isn't there. I don't know how hard these are going to be to find. I've considered spending some time with a couple key rings and needle-nosed pliers for a workable, though not really attractive, option.

-Not body related: I have a WLF and a prism finder. There's obvious fungus in the prism finder (none that I can see in the lenses. I've removed the prism finder from the kit and keep it separately now). I'm not even sure I like using it anyway, and since it's a square format camera, I think I'd be just as happy to leave it aside and use the WLF. However, if it's easy to disassemble and fix, I suppose it'd be worth doing.

I'd love helpful advice from anyone who's dealt with these, and depending on how problematic they can get, it might well be worth sending them to Mr. Yerkes, but if I can get them back into good shape by myself, I'd like to do it.
    What I'm not interested in seeing, in this thread, are the all too common "Buy a 'better' (better usually meaning 'something I own') camera!" I have an ETRS, and will be playing with it, too. I do want to whip these Kowas into shape and get some useful life out of 'em.
    -----------------------------
    In 3D where available, void where prohibited by Law.
    -------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sooo.... anybody?

Shooter
    Large Format
    There's no fungus inside the prism--it's a sealed unit. You can clean it OK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I figured the prism is solid glass, and the offending growth is either on an outside surface or between the glass and an outer element. I'll take it apart and see if it explodes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't lend any sort of helpful repair advice, since I've got three bodies (SIX, SIX M/M and Super 66), each with an issue of some sort. Same goes for the lenses. I'd love to send them all to Ross and tell him to have at it. But I love this system. The light seals you ought to be able to replace with stock stuff. Wish I had some ideas about the back latch, but I'd say you're on the right track. (Ross may have spare parts for this, you know.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. I'll look him up.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin