Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,250   Online: 1094

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

A caveat of sorts (but with a 'workaround')

About one year ago I bought a used Canon AE-1 for cheap. It worked perfectly, even without having a squeak. There was a tiny bit of haze in the (internal) viewfinder and I decided that I needed to remove the top in order to get at the prism area (remember this is not the 'Program' which allows easy access to that prism area).

I removed the top (because I am so prescient and intelligent) and then 'noticed' that there were a lot of wires around that prism. I way 'wires' but (I do not know what it is called) those wires are really incorporated into a solid material (matrix?) and wrapped around that prism's top. I decided to remove those impediments in order to be able to lift the prism. I (always intelligently) pried that morass of wiring off and, suddenly, I ripped that matrix of wires. Of course I could not 'resolder' because I am not exactly the size of an ant.

But with such intelligence, I decided that I was not simply going to throw that body away and give it a funeral (because funerals cost too much). To my utter amazement that camera's meter still worked perfectly (but the shutter mechanism was now absolutely dead). So, with my inherent wisdom I decided to use said body (in conjunction with a heavily scratched 50mm lens) as a light meter to carry about with all my older cameras which do not have meters. Although bulky, the metering is superb, quick, and precise.

But, even though I think that I am terribly smart, I somehow do not see the wisdom of having done what I did in order to create this newfound meter. Essentially, I junked a fine camera because of both greed and lack of foresight. (And maybe, also, a profound lack of intelligence.) Caveat. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 02-19-2014 at 11:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Olde saying

There is an old German saying "Ve gets too soon old und too late smart." Interesting about all those wires. Will keep it in mind when I fiddle with some of my olde film cameras. I have a Bilora Bella with a very simple shutter that looks le it should operate okay when I trip it, but the shutter does not open and close. I am loathe to fiddle with it although it looks simple enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can still get a AE-1 cheap trought KEH or B&H.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    I saw one on dregslist equipped with a 3rd party zoom lens for ONLY $250.00.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rolling.gif 
Views:	110 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	82665

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    There is an old German saying "Ve gets too soon old und too late smart." Interesting about all those wires. Will keep it in mind when I fiddle with some of my olde film cameras. I have a Bilora Bella with a very simple shutter that looks le it should operate okay when I trip it, but the shutter does not open and close. I am loathe to fiddle with it although it looks simple enough.
    You don't need to worry about that one.
    But David's post is a good example of why I'll never waste my money on one of these cameras stuffed with electronics. There is a way to dis- and reconnect these flexible PCs, usually, BUT they're plastic - old plastic - in cameras that were never intended to last decades. The plasticisers go away with time, and even if you know how and have the touch of a brain surgeon (or better a watchmaker), they (the flexible PCs) sometimes break when you move them.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    There is an old German saying "Ve gets too soon old und too late smart."
    Never heard that... We say "Old age does not spare one from stupidity"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Never heard that... We say "Old age does not spare one from stupidity"
    And "Mit der dummheit kampfen Goetter selbst vergebens".

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    There is a way to dis- and reconnect these flexible PCs, usually, BUT they're plastic - old plastic - in cameras that were never intended to last decades. The plasticisers go away with time, and even if you know how and have the touch of a brain surgeon (or better a watchmaker), they (the flexible PCs) sometimes break when you move them.
    To my understanding they are made from PET. Thus no evaporating plasticizers, no brittleness.
    But I read about breaking flexboards too. Could it be, the leads coming off is meant instead?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    To my understanding they are made from PET. Thus no evaporating plasticizers, no brittleness.
    But I read about breaking flexboards too. Could it be, the leads coming off is meant instead?
    I've had them break in older electronics, a VCR from the early 80s for instance. They assuredly can get brittle, whatever they were made of. If there's room they can be replaced by soldering in some ribbon wire, but wherethehell do you get that these days?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cool... a stealth light meter! Nobody would guess what it is and you can get beat up for taking pictures when in reality all you are doing is metering.

If you ever decide to have that funeral, please don't flush it down the toilet... it may be bad for the sewage treatment plant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin