Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,069   Online: 886

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Brownie Camera red sight glass busted

Hi I have a Brownie camera that the red sight glass is broken out. Is there some type of red translucent plastic or film that I can cover the hole with, so I can see the numbering on the film? Also I have an Agfa Clack with the same problem.

Advice?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Try an art shop as they may have something that can do the job, or cover the window with black electrical tape and just peel back when you wind on.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    automotive tail-light lens repair tape, some rosco film, or maybe just some black tape that you peel up to look at the numbers then stick back down.
    That it's red doesn't do anything for you if you're shooting pan film. And, at least for Kodak and Ilford films, the backing paper will protect the film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Bit of broken auto red tail light plastic and nail file to fit.

Super glue it in.

Don't leave the camera on a coffee table in the sun. The backing paper is pretty good with slow film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try to locate an art supply store that sells small individual sheets of Rubylith masking film. Cut out small pieces and stack as many as you can over the opening while still being able to read the frame numbers.

Note also that on my Brownies I still cover the red window with a piece of black opaque photographer's tape between frame winds, just to be safe.

This stuff is very inexpensive. If you can't easily locate any, send me a private message (PM) with a safe postal address and I'll send you a small sheet.

[Edit: Oh, and welcome to APUG...]

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-11-2014 at 07:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added [Edit]...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies. I will see what I can find.

Shooter
    35mm

me too

I was also going to suggest Rubylith. I remember it from the late 1950s. Printers used it. My first camera was a Brownie Reflex and I have a "new" copy of that model that I need to take out for a spin one of these days. It took better photos than many people might assume.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    #25 red filter gel is close to the original shade, cut up a scratched filter gel. Flash/studio lighting color filter material can be used also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A printmaking shop should have Rubylith. Which Brownie do you have with the missing red window? Bill Barber

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm a 35 year offset printer. I remember amberlith and rubylith well. It was a staple. I'd be very surprised if you could find any any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin