Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,828   Online: 760

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

film advance lever for Nikon FG

I am missing a film advance lever (with circular nut to hold it on) for a Nikon FG which I recently got for $5. The body works because I 'advanced' it using a pair of pliers and fired the shutter.

Question: There are other Nikons which have the same lever. I think the EM is one. Are there other models? - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH might have some spare parts.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I came across this site the other day. Have no clue whether they have what you need.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes the EM and FG-20 are on similar chassis donno about the levers being identical but might swap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately the levers are all different. The FG and FG-20 have very similar ones, but they are different.
    You might be able to swap between them.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    35mm
    As a curiosity the EM was the first Nikon to have a ratchet lever. Just a few months before the F3 was introduced. It isn't a coincidence that parts of these 2 cameras look very similar: the designer (Guigiaro) was the same!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe there is a workaround. For the $5 I certainly do not mind getting something that looks ugly but is secure. There is, unfortunately with this particular model, a slot near the top of the advance post where a separate, small, circular disk with a large hole slightly off-center fits (just above the lever) and then slides into the slot to get to the very center so that the threaded nut can be screwed on. THAT keeps the lever from falling off. Almost ALL other SLRs have an actual screw to keep that lever intact.

I am going to have to be creative here because I certainly am not going to pay more for that damn lever than for the whole SLR!!!

mgb74: this site, Mike's, is a bit like what chop shops do to stolen cars: the parts are worth FAR more than the intact beast. (That's also what led to the hostile takeover craze on Wall Street in the 80s: the company assets were worth more than the equity (stock). - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 03-13-2014 at 02:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    you need a parts body with a lever, they seem quite reliable, mine tolerate the fast winder.

but it is easy to drop one...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They're definitely different. I don't think they will interchange. The EM lever (the camera on the top w/ the non a.i. 50 lens) actually looks more robust than the FG lever to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3485.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	574.8 KB 
ID:	84327

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3484.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	695.6 KB 
ID:	84328

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an FG with the spring in the lever's plastic tip broken. I had the same idea: get a junker, steal the lever. Turns out there are at least two different types of lever: the one in my camera and the one in the junker I bought. Maybe there are three, but I'd had enough. I'm living without the spring. FGs are EXTREMELY cheap on Ebay; if you like the camera (and they are great--I have six of them now, and the first still has the original floppy lever tip on it), just buy another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin