Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,192   Posts: 1,659,084   Online: 942

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I want bits of thin but absolutely opaque pieces of metal I cut up beer cans (have a few on hand) with scissors. This thin aluminium is useful for drilling pinholes into, shim stock, or masking neg carriers. And if I run out of it further samples are readily available.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm
    both yurisrey and von Hoegh: True, opaque is opaque and that's that. Loose definitions where one foregoes the very etymology of the word have unfortunately crept into the English language (or, more accurately, the American culture). But, frustratingly, opaque's etymology evinces simply 'darkened or shaded', (still allowing light to leak through!!!) However, its current definition mandates an 'impenetrability' of light.

Just because it LOOKS black does not mean that it is opaque. Looking at a material reflecting light is a lot different than looking through that material with a light bulb on the other side. THAT is the real test.

Maris, your solution is worth thinking about. Aluminum cans are able to be cut with standard scissors and the metal is stable and sufficiently rigid. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 05-02-2014 at 08:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I've been shooting instant film recently and each new cartridge comes with a black slide sheet the size of the film. Impossible film comes with a slide that is heavy cardboard, and the Fuji Instax comes with a pretty sturdy plastic dark slide. I assume that either is opaque. The Fuji seems a bit tougher and might be easier to cut or bend.
    Louis
    (Paladin1420)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin