Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,311   Online: 845

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

a quest for opaque material

Some time ago I got a bulk roll of 35mm film. I cannot remember which kind it was but it came with a leader of a few feet that was black, plastic, and completely opaque. I am glad that I saved it and now have about two feet of it left.

I use this material for various purposes. For example, I have a camera that I have converted to half frame (by running the film through in the opposite direction) and that thin, opaque leader has allowed me to restrict the film aperture gate to the dimension I wanted, 18mm x 24mm. Also, the smallest negative carrier I have is a full frame 35mm, so this material has, again. allowed me to cover that film gate in a way that will not allow extraneous light to enter upon the baseboard.

The material I seek has to be both opaque and thin (no thicker that post card stock, preferably somewhat thinner). It does not have to come in 35mm width; in fact sheet form might be even better. I have checked with local art supply stores but the opaqueness is really the problem here, in conjunction with the required thinness. I wonder if there is even a very thin metal that might be able to be cut, but I think that plastic might be the best possibility here. Aluminum foil, as well as the plastic that light tight bags are made of, both lack the rigidity that I seek. Black construction paper is not wanted because of the dust problem that will ensue.

This search has been harder than I had anticipated. What was that leader made of that caused complete opaqueness? Perhaps the solution to this problem will be readily apparent to some reading this. In advance, I thank all. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 03-31-2014 at 08:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Have you checked into use "rubylith", it might do the trick.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a quick thought - can you sacrifice some film? Would it be opaque enough after development? Of course my first thought is to search online for 35mm leaders, but most I've seen on ebay and the like were not opaque.

I also wonder if you can find some thin metal at the craft supply stores you visited - perhaps a hobby shop that has a lot of RC or Slot cars (you know, the old-style slot shops.) Perhaps even an adhesive Mylar sheet? When I was younger, thin sheets of metal were common at craft stores, but I don't know if they have moved away from that.

Fabric store?

Another stupid idea... a piece of kodachrome? Would the remjet survive any abrasion from your intended use?
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm
    No Truzi, developed film is BLACK but not quite opaque. Shine a flashlight through it to see what I mean. Fabric is too lacking in rigidity. The Kodachrome is an idea and I might have a roll stored away. But that is not really enough.

There has to be, from somewhere, plastic sheeting that I need. Who made that original leader: a wizard???

ann, Rubylith seems to not be the answer as it does not seem to be opaque. See this: http://www.dickblick.com/products/ul...g-film/#photos - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    David, there is thick black aluminum foil used to block light (usually on movie sets) called Black wrap. It's totally opaque and has right thickens. The only possible problem with it is it's matt surface, if you rub something over it for long time eventually paint will come off. Its sold in rolls 1 or 2 feet wide and few feet long. I can cut you one sheet and send you for test. Goran

Shooter
    Large Format
    Good luck on that David. I looked for some back in the 80's and gave up.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    As for using processed film for masking, you have to use graphic art film developed in Kodalith style of developer and it will be totally opaque. Nikon CoolScan 8000 has negative masks for it's glass negative carrier made of exactly right material you are looking for. But where we can find it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How bout chopping up some of the black bags used for photo paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Google "industrial plastics suppliers"; they have all manner of nylons, delrins and other plastics of various colors and opaquenesses; they also come in numerous thicknesses and stiffnesses

Hobby shops stock various metals i.e. steel, stainless, copper, brass and aluminum sheet of various thicknesses and stiffnesses; many of which can be cut with standard scissors

Perry

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The rubylith we used in alternative printing certainly blocks light for over 30-45 minutes.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin