Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,002   Online: 995

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya 645AFD shutter repair

Hello,

I bought a used camera in AS-IS condition and found that 1 curtain in shutter was broken like in this image Click image for larger version. 

Name:	busted.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	85862
    Same camera, same curtain.
    So i just removed it and honestly i can use the camera now , but i have overexposed line, like in this photo Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img084-5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	85863
    For B&W photo is not hard to remove overexposed line with gradient filter in Lightroom (yes , i'm not expert in Lightroom) , but with Color i have much problems , btw i'm bought some Provia slides and don't know how it will affect on it.
    Not tested with prints from film , only scanned.

So, main question is : i'm need to buy another "broken" body to replace whole shutter or there is a way to replace curtain with same material hand-crafted?
    I'm not rich and photography is my hobby, so i can't afford service repair (i think new shutter will be over 500$ ) and it's terrotorialy impossible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a) shutter curtains move extremely fast. There's been decades of R&D and improvements to get them where they are today, they are extremely strong and light and there's no way you can just 'make' one.
    but b) as far as I know, the only difference between a 645AF and AFD is in the way it communicates with the backs. AF bodies are relatively cheap compared to AFD because they can't take digital backs. For $3-400 you can get a working AF body, or maybe find a junk one with a decent shutter to swap out for $200. No idea how much a real repair would cost, but probably more than that.
    Good luck.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does this camera have a second set of curtains like a Hasselblad? Otherwise, I'm wondering why the film isn't totally over exposed from the gaping hole that the missing shutter blade makes?

Cute cat by the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    a) shutter curtains move extremely fast. There's been decades of R&D and improvements to get them where they are today, they are extremely strong and light and there's no way you can just 'make' one.
    but b) as far as I know, the only difference between a 645AF and AFD is in the way it communicates with the backs. AF bodies are relatively cheap compared to AFD because they can't take digital backs. For $3-400 you can get a working AF body, or maybe find a junk one with a decent shutter to swap out for $200. No idea how much a real repair would cost, but probably more than that.
    Good luck.
    a) sure , i'm understand , that it is not kind of work , which can be repaired by "adhesive tape". It's just a idea
    b) yes , i'm looked AF bodies , but still 300-400$ it's lot of money for me (this camera was bought for 300$ + film back and manual lense)
    btw , thank for your answer!

Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Does this camera have a second set of curtains like a Hasselblad? Otherwise, I'm wondering why the film isn't totally over exposed from the gaping hole that the missing shutter blade makes?

Cute cat by the way
    Yes , this camera have two set of curtain in shutter. Or by second set you mean lens shutter? Honestly i'm never tried Hasselblad =)
    It's not totally over exposed, because hole in upper place and it hide from light by mirror and overexposed in time when mirror ups and down only.
    Thank you. It was test shot with Biometar 80 2.8

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please forget about doing by yourself. I may request to save for CLA or just replace this camera. DIY is more expensive than CLA.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    that type of shutter is best replaced. those rivets that hold the blade in place are most likely brass or copper but might be carbon fiber and the blade has to move freely to work. tape or glue is out of the question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IF! the blade was out of position, it could be teased back into position with a tweezers. Even if there's a kink in the blade.
    There is usually a thin separator between the blades so if it's in the wrong slot, the shutter will hang up.

I've usually seen this on 35's with vertical travel shutters when someone has put their finger into it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin