Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,282   Online: 1156

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Finding optical center of a lens

What practical way apt for a home workshop is there to find the optical center of a given spectacle lens.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    In the optical industry we use something called a Vertometer, also called an Optometer. It shows the power of the lens and the optical center. Any place that makes prescription glasses will have one.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course I thought of the optician in town. But, as I am considering the use of cheap plastic lenses a DIY approach would be more appropriate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this for lens-building (centre of element), or for panoramic-stitching (centre of lens)?

For Panos there's always the DIY way, which is just keep taking shots and rotating and making sure they line up with no parallax (possible on film, but a lot cheaper with more recently-invented technology).

For finding the centre of an element, maybe you could do the same thing? Depends if you need precision to within a few mm, or a few microns.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is for lens building. More precise for diopter modification. Plastic spectacle lenses are not only cheap but also easy to cut.

I just remembered that spectacle frames often show the center distance. Thus the easiest way I guess would be just to take that figure, center it and cross it with half of the lens vertical diameter, to get somewhere near the center of the lenses...
    Last edited by AgX; 04-09-2014 at 07:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just be aware that as the lenses get stronger, any misplacement of the center will become more aggressive. For example, as per the Prentice Rule, if a 1 diopter lens is off center by 1cm, it will be off power by one diopter. A 2 diopter lens will be off by one diopter if it is only 0.5cm decentered, and a 4 diopter lens will be off power by one diopter if it is decentered by only 2.5mm.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    The Vertometer is called "Scheitelbrechwertmesser" in german and completed auctions on ebay Germany start at about 50€.
    If I would start lens assembly I would buy one.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Curious... I took a closer look at my prescription glasses n found the centers of the lenses also seems to be the thinest part of the lens.... Of course assuming the center would cooincide with where my pupils seem to align as center to center.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you have a minus prescription, then the optical center should be in the thinnest part of the lens. Conversely, a plus prescription should be in the thickest, however, sometimes the lenses are made to shift the center to correct for other vision problems. Bifocals get more complicated.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I also thought of measuring the lens thickness. I am interested in positive menisci. Thus I would have to fix a tiny sphere to one of the ends of a micrometer caliper. Something well in the range of a DIY workplace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin