Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,059   Posts: 1,561,600   Online: 795

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Polaroid 110 to 3X4?

I recently got a polaroid 110a cheap, to use the lens on my speed graphic. I have seen stuff written about converting the camera to 4X5, but after looking at the camera it seems it would be pretty straightforward to convert it to 3X4 using a 3X4 back off of a speed graphic.Could maKe a really compact folding rangefinder.Has anyone tried this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bruce:
    I have converted to a pack load polaroid. Should be no more difficult for you to do what you want. Hardest part was getting the focal plane adjusted correctly.
    It may be easier to use a roll film adapter from a 4X5 camera to use the extra material surrounding the roll carrier to cover the back of the 'roid.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Shaggy,
    and how did you fix the new back to the old polaroid body?
    Thank you
    Carsten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Carsten,
    It's been several years but, as I recollect, I mounted the back by drillling & tapping some holes into the 110 & screwed the back to it. I did use a pack film back for a 4X5. sealed it to the body with black weatherstrip adhesive from the auto parts emporium once I had determined alignment. PITA.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you very much Shaggy,
    I am not such a good craftman, but is seems quite an easy operation (except for the alignment...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a Graflex 6X9 roll holder for 4X5 that someone had cut down to fit some unknown application. I grafted it onto a Polaroid 95. It fit perfectly after hacksawing away the unneeded portion of the camera back. Glued it right on there with some kind of liquid rubber stuff. Reset the focus and it's ready to use. Now all I need is some decent shooting weather. I used to shoot 4X5 with this camera. They will take one sheet and hold it in place with the pressure plate, but you only get one shot and you have to reload. In the dark.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seems to me the simple way to hack this camera for 3x4 would be to get a $5 pack-film Polaroid (the ones that used the 100 series film, now reissued as 600 series Professional pack film -- plastic lens and no rangefinder would be the preferred, since the better ones are decent cameras as is), cut it just forward of the film pack recess, and graft it to the back of the 110A, cut at the film plane. Done carefully, this would require a minimum amount of focus reset, and allow use of modern Polaroid materials with the good rangefinder, excellent lens and manual exposure capability of the 110A. You get access to pos/neg, high speed B&W, and middle speed B&W and color emulsions, possibly including Fuji films (I don't recall if Fuji makes a 600 series compatible pack film to match their well-reputed 4x5 single-exposure offerings).

The camera would be much more versatile, however, with a 4x5 spring or Graflok back, allowing use of Polaroid single and pack films in the appropriate holders as well as regular sheet film in standard holders. If you have a Graflok handy, the conversion should be relatively simple (compared to, say, building a Space Shuttle with only a hammer, straight-blade screwdriver, and yardstick).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting links to conversions of Polaroid 110 (including some instructions and images) can be found here, in case you didn't know yet:

http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/how2-packconv.htm
    Razzledog has some interesting projects on his homepage, with a current obsession for 6x17:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/index.html

or go straight to his Polaroid dept:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle.../polaroid.html

Hope this helps! Njoy! Medform-norm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thats pretty close to what I was thinking. If I can find a 3X4 back and some holders cheap enough, I will give it a go. The advantage of using 3X4 would be that it is what the camera and lens were made for, so the viewfinder framing should be accurate, and lens coverage should not be an issue. Could make a cool, compact, semi large format folder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not too long ago, on photo.net, I saw an ad in the Polaroid section where a guy charges I think $100 to do the conversion.

I don't know if you can search for old classifieds though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin