Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,606   Online: 1139

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: LF box

Shooter
    Multi Format

LF box

In my quest to pursue lo-tech very-lo-cost LF photography, I've started with a foamcore 10x8 pinhole camera, but unfortunately the whole thing has taken hold of me like crack ...

So, when I saw two Agfa Repromaster lenses on eBay - a 213/9.25 and a 150/9 - I threw in a "lowball" bid and to my surprise nabbed them (plus a working Agfa densitometer) for under a fiver apiece. The 150 seems to have some coating "issues", but the 213 is clean as a whistle. Well, it's a bit dusty and has a tiny bit of haze but otherwise hasn't a scratch on the external elements.

Once I worked out that you unscrewed the flange to mount it, I looked around for a quick way of making it take a picture. Fortunately, the box in which it was sent to me was about as deep as the fl ... so obviously, 5 minutes later I'd come up with this ...

10x8 Film holder slides into the back through a slot in the top at the back. Not light tight so has to be loaded in darkroom and covered up with a t-shirt before taking photo.
    No shutter. Made a lens cap out of a circle and strip of cardboard and some duct tape.

b20140425-1 on Flickr

and a bit later I came up with this. There's something horrid going on with my paper negs at the moment hence the nasty spotty mess. Yuk.

b20140425-1 on Flickr
    Last edited by pdeeh; 04-25-2014 at 04:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

great

Hey, great stuff. I'm trying to work up the nerve to build a low cost 8x10 inch camera. I literally have two 4x5 inch cameras -- at least I think I have all the necessary parts for them now.
    But my ultimate goal is to be able make 8x10 original prints. You are an inspiration.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You'll need to get a nice soft case for it.

I like the idea. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    "There's something horrid going on with my paper negs at the moment hence the nasty spotty mess. Yuk."

I don't see this on my laptop. The pictures look great to me. Congratulations
    John Powers, Guy with an expensive 8x10. I admire what you are doing.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go! That's awesome

My camera ideas often start out looking like that... if you want to change something, just recycle it and make another! Have fun on Sunday!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, I'd just hoped to raise a smile but thanks for all the encouragement and nice words

I was slightly amazed that anything was in focus, to be honest.

The plan is really to make another foamcore camera, this time lensed, but when I looked at my foamcore stock I didn't think I had quite enough, and my budget for playing cameras is rather exhausted at the moment so it'll have to wait.

I found threads about these lenses at LFF. The 213 will apparently cover 11x14, while there seems a bit of mystery about the 150 as to how badly it might vignette on 10x8. The 213 only stops down to f/45 which even with paper negatives means anything much brighter than yesterday (the image above was a 5s exposure) will make managing exposure a bit tricky. But then again I'm sure I can rig up a way of using an ND.

I'd eventually like to try for a "sliding box" using the 213mm, with a ground glass; and the 150mm ought to make a nice plain LF fixed-focus "box brownie", vignette and all.

For the latter, I thought (glibly) "Oh, you just set it up for hyperfocal distance and away you go", but of course once I started to think, and it is making me wince a bit, is working out the lens-to-film-plane distance for hyperfocal focusing, and then of course how I measure and build accurately enough using my lo-tech lo-cost tools and materials.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now you made a pinhole from a box, so it made me thinking if i will pay little more and made that box but from wood, will it be any better then?

I can easily buy 5 faces of the wooden board to produce the cube box, but then what else i should made? a hole in one side for the lens so then the other side will be for film? Can't i place a bellow so i can have little movement at least?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I found threads about these lenses at LFF. The 213 will apparently cover 11x14, while there seems a bit of mystery about the 150 as to how badly it might vignette on 10x8. The 213 only stops down to f/45 which even with paper negatives means anything much brighter than yesterday (the image above was a 5s exposure) will make managing exposure a bit tricky. But then again I'm sure I can rig up a way of using an ND.
    As you have probably noticed the 213 is quite heavy. Be sure you have support for it in your connection to the camera or it will tear that end of the camera off. I tried to make it a very inexpensive wide angle for my 7x17. It did not have enough coverage. My guess is that it may offer little movement on an 11x14. It should be fine on your 8x10, especially since you have no movement to eat up image circle.

"I'd eventually like to try for a "sliding box" using the 213mm, with a ground glass; and the 150mm ought to make a nice plain LF fixed-focus "box brownie", vignette and all."

Years ago I made a pin hole camera out of a 12 quart oil carton. It was for a Photo 1 class. We used 8x10 paper negatives. I made a sliding base within the box, moving the paper front to rear to change from wide angle to long. I was doing this in my retirement at a local college. I had set up shooting some curved brick work at the front entrance to the Art School. A very pretty girl walked up and said, "That is the Porsche of pin hole cameras. Nice." I knew I had arrived.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 04-26-2014 at 06:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is awesome!

I found my 5x7 on the cheap, paid 150 for it with a 4x5 lens

Altogether with my Bausch and Lomb lens which barely covers 5x7 but it does better than my old Meyer Gorlitz, I've got maybe 250 in the camera and 150 in film holders.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the holders are the bugger. You're lucky to find one in decent order over here for under £40-£50 (US$70-US$80)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin