Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,439   Online: 973

Shooter
    35mm

Zorki 4 light leaks

Hello everyone!!

My zorki 4 has some light leaks, expecially when I shoot in very strong light, for example on a bright sunny day with snow on the ground.

Here's an example of the light leaks on a strip of film, I've circled the leaks in red.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liVKie1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	187.4 KB 
ID:	89347

Where do they come from?? How can I fix them?

Thanks In advance

best regards

P.S. sorry for my english, I hope I didn't make too much mistakes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

zorki has cloth shutter - so it could be that sun leaks are going directly thru cloth. Try avoiding direct sun for long time when lens is without a cap.
    This is btw my nightmare for Leica - that it will get light leaks from too strong sun - that is why I am trying to have a lens cap most of the time on the lens when the sun is bright.

Regards,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi, it could be light leaking between the metal caps on the shutter blinds - you need to place the film in the camera upside down with the emulsion facing the lens to work out the exact place, then wind the shutter with a torch shining into the lens throat in a dark room to see if you can see light leaking past the capped shutter. It is tricky to fix. It also looks like you are getting some light leaking in on the edge of the film? Again hard to detect/fix but could be deterioration of the light seal between the camera body (which slides off the chassis once the various screws and self-timer handle + lens mount are removed.

Cheers,

Steve

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Holes in shutter cutains would not expose beyond the frame edge, at least not with the inner of the artifact not yielding Dmax.

(Well, that might perhaps happen at a finder camera without a lens mounted.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone fot the answers!!

From now on, I'll try to put the lens cap everytime, expecially in strong light situations... but I do not think it's a curtain leak problem, because a part of the leak hit the area between one picture and the other... I think the leak occurre somewehere else.

I've checked the metal caps at the edge of each shutter curtain, in darkness with a flashlight: no signs of light leak.

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Holes in shutter cutains would not expose beyond the frame edge, at least not with the inner of the artifact not yielding Dmax.

(Well, that might perhaps happen at a finder camera without a lens mounted.)
    So... where do these leaks come from?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With a typical SLR I first would look at the hinge and its seal. In your case, look at the side of the take-up spool at the region between front- and back-cover where they slide at each other (I don't have me Zorki at hand, so I don't really know what I'm talking about...)

Shooter
    35mm
    For what I know... zorkis have all mechanical light seals, correct me if I'm wrong, so nothing to check.
    For example my zorki 2c has no trace of foam light seals and has no light leaks at all.

I think light comes from some mechanical hole somewhere... but I do not know where to look...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A mechanical seal could be bent. I meant that to check.

A hole could be the result of falling on something pointed. But such defect should be obvious.
    Could light enter from the front, through the mechanics?

Anyway, if it would be a light leak somewhere in the body, after sufficient time you should get artifact exposures of Dmax. Have you checked your negatives on that?
    In case of doubt turn your camera around for some time in very strong light.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-11-2014 at 04:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I see light contamination on the edges of the film, and I think I see that the second curtain is catching the first curtain. The left side of the negative appears lighter than the right. Can't really tell from the photos.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin