Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,194   Online: 991

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Help!!! Canon A1 film rewind knob fell into the camera

My film rewind knob fell into the camera and the back cover is locked. Without the knob, I have no idea how to get the cover opened. I have tried using dentist pick to try to unlock the door, but it doesn't work I don't know the structure of the door lock!
    Can anyone help? How can I open the door without the knob?
    thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    I think if you take off the bottom plate you can push up on the mechanism. Not positive but just dont touch the electronics. Fragile bits.

sent from phone. excuse my typing.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I assume the rewind shaft has fallen to cassette chamber?

Ive not got or had one apart but the norm is that a circlip or recess on the shaft lifts a spring loaded finger.

You need a bright flash light to identify possible bits of fianger and you might need two dental picks one each side of actuating finger

when you fix stick masking tape over door latch...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not sure on the canon, but on an olympus the rewind "pin" has two flanges at its end that engage on the bush it passes through and the shaft pulls up the whole bush when you lift it. A simple hook pushed through the hole and caught under the bottom edge and lifted opens the back.

hth

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...tml/index8.htm
    I assume there is no film cassette in the camera. Take a heavy weight paper clip and straighten the open end outward. Using a pair of pliers bend 1/8 inch of the end of the wire 90°, it should look like a L. Insert the L through the opening then turn the short end against the outside edge of the camera and pull up. The back should open.
    Put any loose washers back on the rewind shaft then put the shaft through the hole in the camera top. Thread the rewind knob onto the shaft then hold the shaft stationary and tight the knob firmly.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just had a look at my AE-1 with assumption that the lock is the same:

-) at this location the body has a 2-layer shell: the outer cover and the casing of the take-up chamber

-) the door lock is situated at the small side of the camera between those 2 shells, unaccessible from the inside

-) access to that lock via the outer shell is blocked by the flange of the back-door

But the lock is actuated from the top anyway:

-) the latch has got a right angle that protrudes under the top cover where the rewind axle arrests against it whilst pulling up

-) you might form a hook and insert it into the hole to mimic this action (as Shutterfinger just described)

-) if you fail you have to take off the top cover (the only difficult stage is taking off the rewind lever)

-) for remounting the knob/crank look for a tool that fits flat as good as possible into that "fork" end of the re-wind axle. Maybe you have to file your tool up to size. Then screw the knob on using your tool for counter force.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-18-2014 at 03:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Guys! Thanks for all you detailed solutions My dad just helped me to fix it! Never let the knob fall into the camera like this again Thanks and happy shooting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's what dad's are for.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    just noticed it was your first post. Welcome to apug. Here to help with all questions analogue. Hopefully see some pictures from you soon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jessica20 View Post
    Guys! Thanks for all you detailed solutions My dad just helped me to fix it! Never let the knob fall into the camera like this again Thanks and happy shooting
    Dads...and Loctite (242, I think - removeable, it's blue in color). Get a small bottle at your local auto parts store. Use a toothpick to put a tiny bit on the threads of the screw so it doesn't happen again. I use it on lots of stuff where unscrewing would be problematic. Like the bolts that hold the rear carrier to my bicycle. It doesn't like plastic. Great stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin