Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,843   Online: 1136

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Optical Glass ABBE , MTF, Aberration and using them as flat filters

Is there such a thing like optical glass MTF curve ? Do flat cut pieces of glass have a specific sagittal tangential MTF Curve ? We coukl order a optical glass filter from schott and go on from there ?

Is refractive index change per color , also a aberratiion description , how we can know what aberration would the glass give ?

Umut
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Is there such a thing like optical glass MTF curve ? Do flat cut pieces of glass have a specific sagittal tangential MTF Curve ? We coukl order a optical glass filter from schott and go on from there ?

Is refractive index change per color , also a aberratiion description , how we can know what aberration would the glass give ?

Umut
    Hi Umut

You need to visit library for book on optics.
    The refractive index is a measure of how much a prism bends light
    The dispersion a measure of how much the red and blue light bend varies

The abbreviations in a lens are a function of the curved surfaces,

- aspheric surfaces reduce this problem.
    - very high refractive glass also reduces this problem because for the same light bend the optic surfaces are less curved.

Noel

ps the lens designer has a PC application program that designs an optimum lens and tells him the expected MTF
    Last edited by Xmas; 07-11-2014 at 06:24 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: ps

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Noel , do flat glass disperse also and any dispersion is a aberration and any aberration reflects as MTF graph.

Am I correct at that point ?

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A multi coated uV filter might just show on a good lens on a MTF machine (as reduced contrast).

But other than that a plane glass has no effective aberration, though the Nikon rangefinder 35mm /1.8 circa 1958 used a plane corrector plate..., not simple.

The IR cut filters that some used on Leica M8s were horrible even on 5cm lenses... but that was light reflected of sensor. Very prevalent in UK in spring and fall with low Sun even with lens hood.

A night shooter needs to remove a multi coated filter or get ghost images of light reflecting from film surface as above.

Please can you ask easier questions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The basic idea behind high quality glass or gel filters is "optical flatness", meaning theoretically/ideally the target is no refraction, no reflection (ie maximum transmittance of desired wavelenghts/spectrum) and no dispersion or other aberrations.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Michael. Michael , is it true for both wave theory and ray theory ?

Is cheap window glass and expensive glass the same. Sounds like not normal but I dont know ?
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 07-11-2014 at 12:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The optical glass is different from window glass.

http://www.britglass.org.uk/optical-glass

The aspheric glass used for the smaller diameter optical elements has

very high refractive index
    is like honey just above its melt temperature
    will solidify after crush between precision ceramic blanks in hydrulic ram press with out crazing
    and only need final polish when it cools

two or three rare earths work this magic.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Thank you Michael. Michael , is it true for both wave theory and ray theory ?

Is cheap window glass and expensive glass the same. Sounds like not normal but I dont know ?
    There are many different types of optical glass as you know. But yes, high quality glass filters are different than windows. There are also coatings to consider. Glass optical filters are usually coated or multi-coated with special coatings both to minimize reflection (maximize transmittance) and for protection. Since a system is only as good as the weakest part, high quality filters from Schneider etc. (most use Schott glass) are designed to be as good as the lenses they are put on.

I went through a lot of this pain when I made some negative carriers a few years ago. I talked a lot with Schneider in the U.S.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You have to go to the specific manufacturer of the glass (Schott, Hoya, etc). They'll have the relevant specs. How you interpret that kind of
    data requires some background. There are many glass types, and how they're coated alters certain properties. It's a complex subject, and I'm
    not an optical engineer, but have had some rather thick resource books on hand from time to time, and have spoken to various engineers
    concerning personal projects. I don't think MTF is a relevant variable when working with blank materials. You start with different properties.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Oh the other question, cheap window glass and expensive window glass ain't the same. All kinds of that stuff too, for all kinds of different
    purposes. But I wouldn't use any of it on an optical device of any type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin