Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,570   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Mercedes Rear Mirror , so sharp , contrasty and colorful

I dont have a car and rarely get pn someone s car , public transport does the job. 15 years ago , I was at med coast and hitchhiked to a german license plate mercedes station wagon. Driver mirror was so exciting , so sharp , contrasty , very joyful to look to the scene.

What was it, technology and what did I see , time was long ago and I cant remember too much things.

It could be used as big mirror and we can record from it , it was very exciting and hitchhike to a mercedes is always good.

Umut
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't say Mercedes rear mirrors being anyway special.

They are of the two-surface flipping design as mirrors of other brands too. Both planes being inclined to each other, by flipping the mirror you can chose between a bright and a strongly dimmed reflection.

You always got two images, but under daylight circumstances the dimmed one would not be perceivable. Set to dimming though, bright light from above would be visible too.
    Last edited by AgX; 07-15-2014 at 09:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Zeiss T * coating maybe.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You really should live in Germany for a while. In spite of Mercedes, Leica and Zeiss poverty is spreading.

Even in my small town now waste bins are being searched looking for bottles with deposits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was the shrooms you took 15 minutes before...
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 07-15-2014 at 11:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree that getting a ride in a Mercedes can be a nice thing, I would think it would be especially nice if you are hitching.

I owned one for a while several years ago, I don't remember that the mirror was anything special. But then it was 15 + years old at the time, and it had around 500,000 km on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine is nothing very impressive. It gets the job done but isn't especially sharp, constrasty, or colorful. It is 8 years old. Maybe MBZ sends the "seconds" to Amerika; who knows. But speaking of rear-view mirrors on autos... I recently experienced a fully restored ultra high-end 1930's car that had a plain (non-dimmable) mirror that was so bright that I thought it may have been a front-surface telescope reflector mirror.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I read an 1951 patent , talking about dichroic coating of the rear mirror. Is what I saw an dichroic mirror ? How it does work and what is the advantage ?

ps. I read about polarizer layers also but patent writes they are dark.

Is there liquid form dichroic coating solutions ?

Thank you,

Umut
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    It's was the shrooms you took 15 minutes before...

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having only been seen in the rear view mirrors of Mercedes, I have no opinion. Isn't everything better viewed from a luxury automobile? I only see in B/W anyhow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin