Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,727   Online: 856

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta x-700 stuck bolt - Help?

I have a Minolta x-700, I love how simple and portable the camera is. When I'm out and about I often forget about it because of its weight (or lack of weight). I knew about the potential capacitor problem with the camera in question, but I thought I would be an exception - my camera performed as new. Needless to say, I recently started having problems with the camera not firing properly and it seems to be the cursed capacitor problem. I am not afraid of soldering new capacitors in place, I've ordered them already - however, I ran into a little problem while dissembling the camera. To get the top cover off, where one of the capacitors is, you have to take off one of these bolts...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	92309

There are a few plastic bolts like this one elsewhere on the camera that I was able to remove simply by placing a flat head screw driver in one of the notches and pushing to the side, however I am not having any luck with this brass one. I am starting to scratch the brass and I don't want to damage the camera.

Any advice on how to remove this? I am thinking of putting a drop of wd-40 on there..

Here is where I am stuck

Name:	IMG_20140804_165642.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	418.3 KB 
ID:	92310

Name:	IMG_20140804_165657.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	472.8 KB 
ID:	92311

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a spanner wrench . If you don't have one I used a motor dremel to cut the tips of needle nose pliers to fit. You may be able to find small needle nose pliers with fine enough jaws that will work. Micro Tools used to carry the spanner wrenches. Remember there are two capacitors that should be replaced. One at the top and one at the bottom of the camera.
    I advise strongly against the use of WD-40. Usual symptom of bad caps is when you press the release button, the LEDS go out and nothing else happens.
    Last edited by camtec; 08-04-2014 at 09:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    BTW, what is your source for the capacitors? I need a few.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    WD 40= Water Dispersant #40, has a penetrating fluid that evaporates fairly quickly and a light weight oil. When all components dry out in 30 to 60 days a sticky residue is left behind with build up from repeated applications. 3in1 oil is another product that dries out and leaves a sticky residue behind. Neither are good for photographic equipment.

A spanner, as previously stated, is the best tool for the nut. An adjustable lens spanner may get narrow enough and have jaws thin enough to fit the slot or they can be filed to fit the slot. Two jewelers screwdrivers that fit the slots in each slot with a 3rd horizontal between them using the horizontal one as the turning handle may work depending on how tight the nut is. Two pieces of steel cut/filed to fit the slots in the nut with a wrench or screwdriver horizontal as a turning handle hold the steel in the slots and turn. been there, done that several times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camtec View Post
    I bought capacitors for my X-700's at Micro Tools. I don't have the link anymore but remember they were about $10 for 6 of them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Each capacitor has a capacitance and voltage rating. You can safely use a higher voltage rated capacitor as a replacement. If the capacitor has polarity markings it is an electrolytic capacitor. Polarity must be maintained and a non electrolytic cannot be used in its place. There are several on line electronic supply dealers that should have a suitable replacement.
    What is the rating of the capacitor, its physical size, and lead type?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use a higher rated voltage but you won't fit it in the space where the old one sits, it very tight.

Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    Each capacitor has a capacitance and voltage rating. You can safely use a higher voltage rated capacitor as a replacement. If the capacitor has polarity markings it is an electrolytic capacitor. Polarity must be maintained and a non electrolytic cannot be used in its place. There are several on line electronic supply dealers that should have a suitable replacement.
    What is the rating of the capacitor, its physical size, and lead type?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camtec View Post
    ive just ordered some from Eb - etopmonica11 10x Rubycon 4V220uF 4V MS5 Electrolytic Capacitors 6.3X5 85℃ ( item: 171374989668 ) about $2 for 10

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin