Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,960   Online: 980

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format

Wide Rolleiflex lenses

I have just been given an old Rolli s/n W2490506 which looks like one of the first 506 made. I just ordered a repairers cd but the main problem is the scratched taking lens. It is marked Distagon 1:40 f=55 Karl Zeiss. Is I possible to repair this on the cheap with another lens?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow... You were given a Rollei Wide? Very nice!

My only thought is, are the taking and viewing lenses the same? In which case, they could be swapped.

EDIT: I don't think they are.

Hopefully other, more knowledgeable people will be along soon to confirm or tell me not to be so stupid.

Have you tried it to see if the scratches actually have any affect on the images?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm..Rollei wide as a gift. You must be very lucky.

Can we see some photos of the scratch if possible?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would put some film through it and see what effect if any the scratches have. If you're lucky, they might lower the contrast a little but nothing else. They might even have no effect at all except when shooting backlit scenes.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Hi Steve,no such luck . they are a different diameter.
    The camera is not ready for use yet as it came to me covered in dust and the front dismantled. Any one know the order of assembly of the left front adjuster?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Download a repair manual here-
    http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/repairmanuals.html

pp. 227-240, Weitwinkel-Rollieflex.

Good luck.

Shooter
    127 Format
    The Scratches ps Thanks for the link, Dan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lens 004.jpg   lens 003.jpg   lens 002.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Those are pretty ugly but not beyond salvation. Strange as it might sound, I'd take a black fine-tip Sharpie to the scratches and fill them in. Get a lens shade for it, and use it. At this point, you got the camera for free, so what's the harm in trying? Look around APUG for an old classified ad/discussion thread Jim Galli had posted about a lens that was old, rare, and literally cracked all the way through. It still worked. The scratches on yours are ugly, and certainly harm resale value, but if you keep the sun out of the frame and have the front element well-shaded, you should still be able to make good images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    People ask about polishing and re-coating the lens on their point-and-shoot, and it is never worthwhile. However, it might be worth it to inquire about salvaging that front element.

http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_services.html

Shooter
    127 Format
    Thanks or the link. I need the tiny screw p/n 01115.82.0 and washers 0340.00.0 and 04360.00.0 the screw is stepped cheesehead m1.35.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin