Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,076   Online: 886

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leather Care

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leather Care

I have a few old Contax IIIa cases that are in pretty good shape. The leather is getting stiff so I need to treat it with something before the front starts to split from the bottom. What could be used to keep the leather from ripping?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Personally, I treat mine like I do a good pair of shoes - I polish them. If you use shoe polish in the same tones as the leather on your camera or case, then you also bring it back to life looking like new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best thing for dried out leather is neatsfoot oil. This will restore the leather's flexibility. Apply the oil sparingly allow it to soak in and then wipe to remove any excess. Several treatments may be needed in the worst cases. To clean leather use saddle soap.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Neetsfoot oil is easy to over do. You can use Lanolin cream which is natural and has no harmful solvents. You can find it in the grocery store or pharmacy as "nipple cream" for breast feeding mothers. Pecards is a cleaner and dressing for leather and works very well, even on antique leathers.

I've used both with good results on some items in my antique collection, especially dry and cracking leather.

-Xander

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Of the ones benjiboy linked to on Amazon, I use Lexol, have for years on all leather products.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast14riot View Post
    Neetsfoot oil is easy to over do. You can use Lanolin cream which is natural and has no harmful solvents....
    I use a product called Flexalan (available on Amazon and at saddle and horse shops), which is a mix of neatsfoot oil and lanolin. The lanolin helps the most. Like Xander said, neatsfoot oil is easy to overdo, so be careful not to apply too much.
    —Eric

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Lexol from "horse" shop nearby.
    my Film Flickr. aslo, using enlarger, in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Lexol gets my vote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank You everyone for your comments, found Neatsfoot Compound locally so I am trying it out........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin