Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,380   Posts: 1,682,992   Online: 727

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Broken range-/viewfinder unit on Vito CLR

The rangefinder mecanism (to the left in the pictures) has broken off the viewfinder. Part of the once joined surfaces is clear glass that does not seem to have had glue on, and came apart with no damage to the glass. But the rangefinder part seems to have taken with it some part of the viewfinders glass surface. I hope this is visible in the pictures below.

Still when I hold the two pieces together, the system seems to function as it should. I can see the full double image. I believe it would be possible to glue the parts together in alignment, but I'm afraid the the glue will obscure the image. Or that other things can go wrong.

Anyone here have experience or just opinions on this? What kind of glue, and so on...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2269.JPG   IMG_2270.JPG   IMG_2271.JPG   IMG_2272.JPG  

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you would put the parts together and just put a line of epoxy-cement arround the seams chances are great in case you heat-set it that the cement runs into the slit. Thus either having it set cold or use the fast setting version. In short time it will get a viscosity too hgh for any creeping.

Alternatively you could use optical, UV-cured cement completely on the contacting surfaces.

But all would require some experience not to make a mess out of it.
    If the rangefinder would sit on its own on the finder, that would be a great benefit for cementing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    If the rangefinder would sit on its own on the finder, that would be a great benefit for cementing.
    You mean while it hardens?

Shooter
    35mm
    Alternatively you could use optical, UV-cured cement completely on the contacting surfaces.
    +1 that's the correct solution.
    see, e.g.
    http://www.thorlabs.de/newgrouppage9...ctgroup_id=196
    Suggest you contact them for advice about the best variant in your case.
    Or, approach a university lab involved in optics and beg a few drops of glue.
    Or, I might be able to send you, for the cost of postage, outdated (but not too much) UV curing glue.
    Note: you will need a UV source: HID lamp, Tanning lamp, or... sun (not much hope right now in Norway, even southern...

With epoxy, I would fear poor adhesion if epoxied only on the outside, or ugly creeping if teh glue gets inside (I bet it will).

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SalveSlog View Post
    You mean while it hardens?
    Yes. Otherwise you would have to make some holding-construction (a good cause for trouble)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks AgX and Bernard.

In fact I have a uv-box for drying varnish!

Do you know what kind of glass this is? And would the uv rays really reach the glue?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The same way as the rays from the subject to the photographer. Via the respective windows.
    When cementing a thick doublet the UV-rays will have to pass even more glass I assume.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So I used the glue bernard_L sent me to glue these glass elements (see post #4). I made a wooden fixture to seat the small part in the right place for applying the glue and clamp. Then put it in the sun to harden.

Last picture: I'd like to replace the missing white paint. Anyone got a recommedation for type of paint?

The glue I got from bernard_L is expired but still usable, so if anyone need it I will send it for postage just like he did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rf_1.jpg   rf_2.jpg   rf_3.jpg   rf_4.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin