Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,832   Online: 890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Has any had an SLR body CLA'd recently?

I have Contax RTS II that is dirty, hasn't been used in a while, but seems to work fine. I'd just like to get a general reality check on what people are paying for this type of thing these days so that I watch out for rip-offs.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Neal,

I've had a Minolta SRT and an old Contaflex II (I guess there's no young ones anymore) Completely CLA'd locally for $80 each within the past year. That seems to be the going rate around here at least.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Large Format
    I sent a Nikon F3 to ESSEX CAMERA SERIVICE in Carlstadt, NJ for a CLA and to check shutter speeds (everything worked, but it hadn't seen any service in years). They said it needed "parts" and charged $180. But that's not all-- I sent it Monday 2nd day air, and received it Thursday 2nd day air. After checking tracking info with UPS, the camera was only in their shop about 4 hours! Now, does that mean Essex was exceptionally fast with the checkup and repair? or that something must have been skipped?

Next time I'll send it to Nikon.

It would be nice to hear any members' suggestions for any honest and competent shops.

Images
    This place is in Carlstadt too, http://www.camerarepair.com/
    I haven't tried them.
    As with any repair, auto, computer, refrigerator, in the end you just have to make that leap of faith. Is that Phlemson Joint on your SUV really worn out and need to be replaced immediately at great expense or else risk the lives of your family? I don't know. Do you tell them to put the thing back together, pay for the estimate and take to the next place down the road?
    It would be nice to hear any members' suggestions for any honest and competent shops.
    Since trust is really the bottom line when dealing with repair shops, word-of-mouth recommendations and positive experiences are probably the most valuable. I think that you have a good idea here.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Had an R3 in for replacement light seals a few months ago. Shutter speeds, meter, and everything else were within original spec, so no other work was done except a little lube on the mirror mechanism. This was the first service since I bought it new in '79. (It doesn't sit on a shelf, it's been working the whole time and had many hundreds of rolls of film through it.) This was $45 at DAG, including parts. He'll CLA a prime lens for about $80. Don't have a price on a full CLA.

I had a complete CLA on an Agfa Isolette I, including a shutter upgrade, gluing a corner of the leatherette, lens cleaning, focus clean and lube, and bellows replacement two weeks ago. That was $100 from Jurgen Kreckel, but then it was 50 years old, and the R3 was only 26.

Just did some really nice APX-400 in PC-TEA with the Isolette.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm currently waiting on an OM-1 thats being serviced by Camtech out on Long Island. The guy who does the work is an ex Olympus tech and has an excellent reputation. Cost for the CLA for the body is $100 and I also paid 60$ to have a motor winder overhauled. He only works on Olympus gear but maybe that gives you an idea of what to expect for prices.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    Had an R3 in for replacement light seals a few months ago. Shutter speeds, meter, and everything else were within original spec, so no other work was done except a little lube on the mirror mechanism. This was the first service since I bought it new in '79. (It doesn't sit on a shelf, it's been working the whole time and had many hundreds of rolls of film through it.) This was $45 at DAG, including parts. He'll CLA a prime lens for about $80. Don't have a price on a full CLA.
    Holy Smokes! Forty Five Bucks for CLA and repairs on a Leica?! Sure you didn't leave a zero off that?
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Holy Smokes! Forty Five Bucks for CLA and repairs on a Leica?! Sure you didn't leave a zero off that?
    No, not a full CLA, it was still to spec in all regards. Only light seal replacement and lubing the mirror mechanism, plus checking shutter speeds and metering, which were fine. This was DAG, not Leica repair. No slight to Don, he'll just do what's necessary rather than automatically do everything, and does excellent work at reasonable prices.

However, if you ever do see a full CLA on a Leica for $45, please let me know.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, but I've sent a few things to Vermont Camera Works in the last few years. Their website is: http://www.vermontcamera.com/
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've sent a few cameras in to Peachtree Camera and Video and they seem to be pretty decent folks and did a good job on my gear. The prices seem in line with most other shops. They claim to have a lot of older parts stocked and can repair cameras from the 1800's on up.

http://www.peachtreecamerarepair.com/
    Gary Beasley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin