Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,888   Posts: 1,629,819   Online: 1058

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

grey market Nikon camera/lens repaired by any service centers?

Have you ever sent grey market Nikon camera/lens to be repaired by any non Nikon service centers?

I know the disadvantages of having/buying a grey market Nikon lens/camera. Nikon doesn't offer any repairs or technical support. My question: DOES Nikon supply parts to non-Nikon authorized repair centers? I have heard that lot of grey market Nikon owners use nikoncamerarepair.com for repair. Have you used them? nikoncamerarepair.com does repair grey market lenses but I am wondering whether Nikon supplies them the required original Nikon parts?

I am planning to buy a lens. The price difference is $500 between the grey and the authorized lens.

Thanks so much!

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm in the US. What's a gray market camera? Is that like swiped, appropriated, filched, stolen?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Imported by some mechanism other than the official U.S. distribution network. Real Nikon but not part of the official distribution process. Often costs less but generally doesn't get the normal Nikon support.
    Quote Originally Posted by APUGuser19 View Post
    I'm in the US. What's a gray market camera? Is that like swiped, appropriated, filched, stolen?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by APUGuser19 View Post
    Gray market merchandise is stuff that does not come with a USA warranty which makes it cheaper. That's how all the NYC places used to offer such cheap prices back in the day. Since the remaining places like B&H have gone legit, and retail pricing has basically equalized for electronics, you don't hear about gray market stuff as much any more. But there are still plenty of (often shady) places out there selling gray market merchandise.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think I'd worry about whether a 40 year old camera ended up in the country it wasn't "officially" imported in. In 40 years, goodness knows where all it's been. I think the warranty problems are a little late for worry. Oh, I was thinking of my F2's. I keep forgetting Nikon stayed in business after they discontinued their best model. Yours might be an F6 or F7 or F8 or something
    I don't even keep up with. GLSorry for butting in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still buy lens for my F100 and F6 that are still current models. I'm in Canada and I typically buy from B&H. If I need warranty, I just send it back to them to take care of.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    35mm
    I am talking about current cameras and lenses. They are thousands of grey market products offered for sale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So was I.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by haring View Post
    I am talking about current cameras and lenses. They are thousands of grey market products offered for sale.
    easiest thing is to call a shop and ask. I suspect they can buy the parts you need. The main difference is, as noted, lack of warranty. Authorized dealers often cannot even touch gray market cameras, part of their contract with Nikon.

But an independent shop, shouldn't be an issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check with an independent repair technician whether Nikon restricts parts sales to authorized repair facilities only. Many distributors/manufacturers do.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin