Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,388   Posts: 1,683,276   Online: 676

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Quick Bellows pinhole fix

I have been wanting to try out my Bantam cameras that take 828 film and I finally am able to slit 120 and re-spool it easily to fit. The problem is that the Bantams I am using are from the 1930's and as luck would have it, they are full of pinholes as the fabric of the bellows slowly deteriorates.
    I made a mixture of white craft glue (like Elmers, etc.) and black stamp pad ink and painted it all over the surface of the bellows and let it dry (folding and unfolding the camera a couple of times during the drying process).
    It appears to have worked wonderfully. The bellows are softer than they were before and all of the pinholes are gone. I did two different bantams and one of them needed two thin coats to get it completely light-tight.

I don't know how long it will last but for now, I have a cheap, easy fix for folding cameras that would otherwise be delegated to "display only".

...just passing it on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting way to fix it. I would also think of Gardner Bender LTB-400 Black Liquid Electrical Tape.
    http://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender...=liquid+rubber
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak, of all people, did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Bantam Special bellow are OK to date but I worry that won't last forever. Eventually I would imagine a new bellows will be in order. Not sure how that's going to happen.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    Interesting way to fix it. I would also think of Gardner Bender LTB-400 Black Liquid Electrical Tape.
    http://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender...=liquid+rubber
    Ok, that stuff looks even better although it might be too glossy. The only way to find out is to try it so I've ordered a bottle.
    Depending upon how opaque it is and how it goes on, it could be fun to try the other colors it is available in

Thanks for the link and information
    Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a quick and dirty fix on bigger bellows, try 3M 830 polyester tape in black. It's very thin so folds well, and sticks to bellows material and itself pretty well. I have fixed that awful Kodak synthetic bellows they used starting in the 40s with great success. It is expensive (10 to 75 use per roll depending on where you source it) but one roll will last a long long time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've always applied the liquid electrical tape from the inside. Works great especially for those corner pinholes. Leave the bellows stretched out while the tape dries.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the inner light-tight lining of a changing bag is very very good for patching bellows on the inside -- just rubber-cement it down so it follows the folds and there you are .... PM me a mailing address if you need some. My dog chewed holes in my bag and I have an abundant supply, yours for the asking.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    1. Golden Heavy Body Acrylic Artist Paint, #1040 Carbon Black, diluted 50% with water, 2 thin coats. http://www.goldenpaints.com/products...y/carbon-black
    2. Washable fabric paint, black or ebony.
    Very durable, no buildup to add bulk to the bellows when folded. Rubberized fabric as found inside a changing bag is .008 inch thick and is available as shutter cloth and player piano bellows cloth, runs around $100 a yard and is excellent for patching tears in bellows.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin